1,406 Posts

On 2001-08-17 16:42, JT-KGY spewed forth this drivel:
Sorry.. I got these questions after reading
a few threads...

Dyno Question:
What doe SAE corrected mean?? I always hear
it but not sure what this means.

Thank you,
For any test tool that is meant to measure things, a standard is good to have in place... like a gallon of gas should be the same amount wherever you go in this country...helps you know what you are getting.

By the the same virtue, dynomometer results taken on different days in different places, where temperature, or altitude, barometric pressure, or humidity, or dew point can make a big difference in the reading you can acheive, there's a need and results can better be compared if the "yardstick" is 36 inches long without you having to be there to see it. Without removing the variable there is no common ground. In other words; a standard formula to take the variables out of engine power measurement was needed to cut out the bunk and leave the usable info in to be observed and reported...a standard formula to bring results into alignment regardless of the conditions.

In the United States this is usually Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1349 Rev JUN90. Correcting to SAE J1349 alters the data to make it seem as if it was taken when the atmospheric pressure was 29.23 in/hg, the temperature 77°F and the humidity zero.

This allows for a dyno done in Denver Colorado at 5280 feet in winter on a set of mods or engine corrected to SAE has the reliable chance to be compared to a dyno done in Miami at sea level in 100 degree humid summertime conditions on set of mods or engine that's also been corrected to SAE. Entering the values under which the dyno is taken can alter the usability or maybe better said reliability of the results... as in "garbage in gabage out.

Punch in the accurate conditions and correct to SAE... the honest way to do it.

Hope this helps explain it in some small fashion.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fastdog,

Thank you,
Now I understand. This will be very helpful
since I am going to do a dyno on my car this
weekend.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
JT, an out of state dealer "should" have no problem accepting payment whether in cash or via a car loan. He will, however, expect full payment before you get the keys.

Also, you didn't ask, but an out of state delivery does NOT mean you pay an additional charge for shipping. The $645 "destination charge" on the window sticker is all that must be paid to the selling dealer. However, depending on your business relationship with the local dealer in your home state, it may be necessary to pay a fee to have that dealer do the PDI, store the car on his lot for pickup, detailing service, etc and for handling some of the overall paperwork involved. If you are considered a "good customer" or perhaps a
VIP in your community, that local dealer may do his part in the delivery process on the house. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On 2001-08-18 02:13, dsinned spewed forth this drivel:
JT, an out of state dealer "should" have no problem accepting payment whether in cash or via a car loan. He will, however, expect full payment before you get the keys.

Also, you didn't ask, but an out of state delivery does NOT mean you pay an additional charge for shipping. The $645 "destination charge" on the window sticker is all that must be paid to the selling dealer. However, depending on your business relationship with the local dealer in your home state, it may be necessary to pay a fee to have that dealer do the PDI, store the car on his lot for pickup, detailing service, etc and for handling some of the overall paperwork involved. If you are considered a "good customer" or perhaps a
VIP in your community, that local dealer may do his part in the delivery process on the house. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Well, I know that dealer (in any state) will
not have a problem when I hand over a check
to him... but will the car loan company
have problem with out of state purchase??

I got a PeopleFirst.com loan earlier for a
used car... they just send me a check with
a $$ limit I could write on the check.. but
I think I also have to do something with DMV
during the purchase... eventually I didn't
use the check... so I wasn't clear what I
needed to do during the purchase...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts