Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Observations - First Oil Change on The '02

Well, "baby blue" got her first oil change today at 953 miles. Used a gold duraguard filter and 6.5 quarts of Mobil 1. She has not burned any oil in either the break in plus some "spirited" driving. I guess the new rings are working as advertised.

We cut the old filter apart to make sure there were no "surprises" in it - and it was clean! :) :) :) One thing I did notice immediately is how much better the Gold Duraguard filter is made than the regular one - I would thoroughly recommend you all go GOLD.

The next thing to go was the regular oil pan drain plug - you woulda thought for 50 large the General coulda put a magnetic drain plug on the car, but no. So, I went to a local dealer and purchased the magnetic variety for the princely sum of $2.42!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'd go for that too, if I were you.

Last, but not least, I used the CAGs kit I ordered from Nate to get rid of that stupid 1 to 4 shit. It doesn't happen often, but if it does in urban traffic and you have Bubba on your butt with his jacked up 10 year old Bronco, filling up your rear view mirror - well, it's not cool. It was ridiculously easy to get rid of the CAGS, just make sure to use the wire ties to keep the resistor and wires as far away from the exhaust as you can...

So now it's :guiness: time!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bleubyu,

How did 6.5 quarts hit your dip stick? I needed 7.0 to hit full.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just recently changed my oil at 650 miles, had to add 7 quarts to get to the full line. Checked it this morning dip stick still reads full.:D :D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There's a big discussion on how much oil the LS1/LS6 is supposed to take. GM engineers say 6.5 qts, no matter what the dipstick says. I say stick with the stick (as in dip, that is :D ).

There's the thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=142845

02Z06405 -- I bet you saw an increase in your oil pressure too, right? I sure did when I put an Ultragold filter on my coupe. Hot idle oil pressure went from about 18 to 28 lbs :eek:. The Ultragaurd not only filters better, but is less restrictive which give better oil pressure after the filter and to the engine.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, my oil pressure did increase after installing the Ultraguard Gold filter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I checked my oil level prior to changing the oil. the dipstick read "full" right up to the mark. This was the factory fill reading directly off the dipstick. My car had 650 miles on it when I changed the oil. I had to add 7 quarts of oil to bring it back to the "full" mark as I originally observed on the dipstick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts