Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Z06 bug seems to have bitten me... here's my situation.

I can only own one car. My current ride is a Volvo V70R 6 speed, it has 300hp, is a wagon, and handles/brakes brilliantly. It's very nice, but it's failing to inspire or stir the soul at this point in time. Here is a picture: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/483/profile1small5bi.jpg

I'm 21 and in the Army, finishing up my final year at West Point. The winters are bad here, but after this year I could be down south, or who knows where! I just test drove a Z06 on Long Island and loved it, but had a few concerns.

I understand I'll be giving up plenty of storage space, but I don't have anyone riding shotgun so I can stow some items on the passenger seat too. Is it really as cramped for luggage as it looks?

Is it stupid to have the Z06 as your only car, and does anybody do this?

Are there all-season tires available? All-season runflats?

Am I an idiot to give up a jack of all trades for a master of one (sport wagon for American supercar)?

I'd like a 2002+ one (405 hp!), preferably with less than 10k miles and black/black. I drove one today and LOVED it, but I keep getting this itching feeling that it is not an intelligent decision, and is rather just an emotional one. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Goals are good... If you don't own the V outright, try to pay it off in a few years. That is a great ride that will last years and you will need more room than the Z at some point. Once you pay off the V, then buy the Z (in 4 years they will be cheaper, you will be 25 and insurance will be reduced).

However, Pros to dump the V for the Z
- chicks will dig it
- your nads will go in your throat when you stomp on it
- you will feel like you own a piece of an American Icon

Cons
- Premium gas, MAX 12 - 15 mpg with your foot in it
- You will worry about it every where you park it
- Being 21 with a Z, you will get a speeding ticket
- Your insurance will not be cheap
- You will need to rent or borrow when you need to haul stuff

Summary... Get the Z

good luck...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't get a Z06, it is to much car for you current situation. You are really only starting your career. Wait until your life is more stable.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
As much as I want to tell you to go out and buy your Z, I really don't think it is the right time for you. Wait until you get to your first duty station, get settled and evaluate at that time if you can afford the Z. Good luck in your career!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
As far as luggage space for trips: plenty. My wife and I went on a long trip and were surprized at the storage space.

As far being your only vehicle? I have truck I drive during
inclement weather and that includes when it's forecasted for rain as I never felt that safe on local streets where the oil
is bad during rainstorms.

My advice, if it were me, wait until you can afford two vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, some interesting advice so far...

My V70R is paid off, and I could easily trade it in +cash to get the Z06. Indeed a concern is the rain. I wouldn't drive in the snow (I don't take the Volvo out in the snow), so that's not an issue. My insurance on the Volvo (a 40,000 car) is 800 a year because of my clean record and history with using USAA.

I'm pretty impressed with the advice, I was expecting "Get the Z!!!" from a lot of people, but so far the consensus seems it would be smarter not to.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Get the Z06, and a beater car after you get to your first duty station. You can probably buy a decent used small sedan or pickup for $5,000 or less as a car for bad weather and hauling.

USAA is great! The increase for me changing from a '93 Jetta to the '02 Z06 was only $382 a year. Of course I'm old(44, just retired-USAF Pararescue), married, no tickets or accidents, and have 3 cars and 2 motorcycles on the policy.

You might have to wait a short time to get the Z06, but do it when you can. I used to hate driving that Jetta to work. I had to drive it to carry my gear at the beginning and end of the week. I loved the days in the middle of the week when I could ride my bike. Now I have fun during my commute(20-30 minutes) with either vehicle. I don't even mind being in the non car pool lane with all the toads now that I have the ability to dice through them.

Most of all it's a cool car, it's worth waiting a little while for.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Money doesn't seem to be an issue, so go for it. What's the worst that can happen? If you decide later that the Z06 is too impractical, sell it.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do it... sort of.

I'm trying to decide now, C5 Z06 or a C6 with no options? It's a tough call. The Z06 is slightly faster in all regards (or so I think), but the C6 would make a better only car... tough call. Z06s are plentiful, no option 6-speed C6's are hard to find...

Any input? And yes, I know this IS a Z06 forum :) Right now I'm leaning towards finding a C6, as the Z06 seems to be the more visceral, raw car of the two, while the C6 would be slightly more refined and ready for unspirited driving trips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
My opinion is that that you should wait because the practicallity and flexibility of your current ride.

Save your money and invest it. When you settle down you'll have enough money for a house and in a few years you'll be able to afford the latest Z06.

Good luck,
Stumbo

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
KMK454 said:
I'm trying to decide now, C5 Z06 or a C6 with no options? It's a tough call. The Z06 is slightly faster in all regards (or so I think), but the C6 would make a better only car... tough call. Z06s are plentiful, no option 6-speed C6's are hard to find...
How does the C6 make a better only car?

It is slower, boring and common - :)

You either want a Z06 - or you don't - there are plenty of hairdresser Corvette forums out there - I am sure thay won't mind you joining :p

KMK454 said:
Any input? And yes, I know this IS a Z06 forum :) Right now I'm leaning towards finding a C6, as the Z06 seems to be the more visceral, raw car of the two, while the C6 would be slightly more refined and ready for unspirited driving trips.

Thanks!
This is THE Z06 forum :)

The C6 Coupe/Vert is more refined - it's a boring, bland, hairdresser's, gold-chain-wearing, middle-age-crisis-supporting, wannabe pose mobile. Sure it has 400hp, but so does a large delivery truck.

The Z06 behaves the way you drive - docile when you want, and arse-kicking when you want.

For goodness sakes, suck it up and be a man - we have girls on this forum who daily drive Z06s... (and Vipers :p) :eek:

No Pooftas :)

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Well ... If RC45 told you what he REALLY thought, he'd say Z over C6 if you buy the Corvette. :rofl:
My advice is scattered in comments above:
Money not a concern ... get the Z.
Best to have a beater to "git around"
You will be under constant pressure from friends and acquaintances to hang it out ... just goes with the territory. And you will pay ... they won't.
You'll get commissioned next June and after 4-6 months of training you'll be prolly heading for the sandbox or some place that won't accommodate the Z. So you leave it in storage for a year or so.
My advice ... wait till after you return from your first assignment overseas. (oh ... I bought a VW, then a Porsche in Germany on my first tour ... back in the day ... then two Alfas, then to RVN, then on return an AMX 390 ...) Good luck in your studies, and in beginning your service career. :usa:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
DennyM said:
Well ... If RC45 told you what he REALLY thought, he'd say Z over C6 if you buy the Corvette. :rofl:
My advice is scattered in comments above:
Money not a concern ... get the Z.:
Did I really just post that? ;) I guess I did - but you have to forgive me, it was posted on the heels of a little encounter late Friday night... :p

This bloke at work has a 600+rwhp (so claimed ;) ) "Z06 eating" F150 Lightning, and we were all working late and one thing lead to another - well suffice to say a couple co-workers witnessed the fact that I had to back off the throttle for him to pass me ;) hehe

:thumb: I say Mr KMK454 get the Z06 and never look back :D :crazy:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Life is not a practice round ! Go get your Z !!!! You are a young smart American that is serving his country and you owe it to yourself to get your azz in the Z !!! Plus you are single ! This is a no brainer go get it today do a nasty burn out leaving dealer then snap some pictures and we want you to post them by Friday ! Man life is short and before you get the wife and kids and all the other toys treat yourself because you deserve it ! Remember EVERYTHING you get later in life WILL BE SHARED (not a bad thing but you get were I'm goin :D )

·
Registered
892 Posts
I live on Long Island too. I would not own a Z06 as my only car. The weather here is just too nasty to have a Z06 as your only car to get around in. The Z06 is hairy in just the rain, and forget about the snow - you will die if you drive it in the snow (if you can make it out of the driveway).

·
Registered
174 Posts
the Z is a great car. realistically it is a second car. work sucks but one has to get there in all kinds of weather. always good to have a back-up plan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Homer: "'Cause sometimes you have to break the rules to free your heart!"
Marge: "You got that from a movie poster!"

Take that for what it's worth...

Personally, if it were me....

...well, if it were me, actually, I'd get the Z. Maybe I'm not the best example. As others have said, you probably shouldn't have a Z06 as your only car up north. I know - I'm originally from Long Island as well (Rockville Centre).

Congrats on graduating from USMA and your commissioning. Like you and others have said, you have no idea where you're going to end up. Most likely for an Army officer, it will be "in the sandbox". At least wait until you get back. Trust me, you will have a TON of money saved up - you're going to RAKE IT IN over there (tax free+haz duty+imminent danger, etc).

Hell, you'll probably be able to afford a C6 Z when you get back! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts