Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts on this subject and am still up in the air what to do. I finally procured my car. It is totally stock. I have a chance to buy some 19x9frt and 20x11rear motorsports with pilot xgt 285-30 on the rear not sure on the front tire size, for about $1500 bucks they are flawless with 4100 miles on them. How much of a decrease decrease in traction is there with the thin sidewalled 20's? They look really cool but do not want to forgo the traction if it is so much less than with the stock rim sizes. My other choice would be to get the motorsports in the stock sizes chrome or just stockers chromed. I cannot afford to buy totally new rims and tires. That seems to be atleast a $3000-4000 hit depending on the rim and tire combo.

Thanks

DROID

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Those sizes will effect your handling and traction big time. They look good is about all. :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO said:
Those sizes will effect your handling and traction big time. They look good is about all. :cheers:

Would you suggest staying with the stock size rims and tires then?

DROID

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you want looks then the 19/20 combo is great. IMO many more tire options available in 18". The new 2006 Z06 is going to have 325/30/19 tires. I believe the manufacturer's will step up and start offering more sizes in the 19". I am hoping that the new 325/30/19's will fit on our cars without tubbing. As it stands now the biggest tire available in 19" for the back or a Z06 is 305/30or25/19 without tubbing. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Its all in your driver skill. My friend used to cut 1.9s on 18s and F1s and now cuts the same 1.9s in the same Z but with 20s on the back. Put it this way, you will lose traction but if you dont care about traction you wont notice it, if you do then you will most defintley feel it.

There is a cheap alternative to expensive wheels. You can trade your wheels for painted OEMZ06 wheels and pay 800 and the shipping of your wheels to the place. My painted black wheels make the car stand so much without so much work. I kept the traction, didnt gain weight,didnt spend much, kept the tires and look better. Seems like a good decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2002Z06Yellow said:
Its all in your driver skill. My friend used to cut 1.9s on 18s and F1s and now cuts the same 1.9s in the same Z but with 20s on the back. Put it this way, you will lose traction but if you dont care about traction you wont notice it, if you do then you will most defintley feel it.

There is a cheap alternative to expensive wheels. You can trade your wheels for painted OEMZ06 wheels and pay 800 and the shipping of your wheels to the place. My painted black wheels make the car stand so much without so much work. I kept the traction, didnt gain weight,didnt spend much, kept the tires and look better. Seems like a good decision.
Where did you get yours from? I see you have black with polished lips.

DROID

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shorter wall = No traction,specialy with tires available in the market now.As IT L GO said,some manufacturer's may offer more size's cause there is the C6 & 2006 ZO6 running 19" ion the rear. :z:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
CCW's with black center and polished lip. 18 inch all around..

I think thats a hell of a wheel and a good performance choice.

Before you buy any wheel CHECK HOW MUCH THE WHEEL WEIGHS. Heavy aftermarket rims can really cause havoc to the performance of a car even one thats street driven if your interested...

I don't know the weights on the rims your discussing specifically but it would be the first thing that would come to mind...

Unsprung weight is your enemy especially on a performance car like the Z06

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After much thought and all your guys help I am going with the following setup. 18x9.5 front with 275x35x18 and 18x10.5 rear with stock rear tires. Is there anything wrong with this combo as far as fitment or handling is concerned? Would you recommend a different size front? I am going to stick with my F1's for now.

Thanks

DROID

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Tall wheels are bling-bling. There is a reason racers don't go that route.

Each to his own.

:zboobie:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
droid said:
After much thought and all your guys help I am going with the following setup. 18x9.5 front with 275x35x18 and 18x10.5 rear with stock rear tires. Is there anything wrong with this combo as far as fitment or handling is concerned? Would you recommend a different size front? I am going to stick with my F1's for now.

Thanks

DROID
Either a 265/35/18 or 275/35/18 are excellent choices. The advantage to the 265/35/18 it the same circumference as the 2765/40/17 that it replaces. On the other hand the 275/35/18 will fit fine and perhaps ride slightly better.
TC/AH will work fine with either combo :z:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IT L GO said:
Either a 265/35/18 or 275/35/18 are excellent choices. The advantage to the 265/35/18 it the same circumference as the 2765/40/17 that it replaces. On the other hand the 275/35/18 will fit fine and perhaps ride slightly better.
TC/AH will work fine with either combo :z:

Thanks IT L GO

Is it improper or does it look funny or dangerous in some way to have different tire brands front to back? My tires only have 4000 miles on them but with the new front 18" rims I will need new fronts. In the long run when I need new rears I would like to go with the michilin ps2 315, so maybe I will buy PS2's for the front now and keep the stock f1's in the rear till they are dead?

DROID

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Unless you are some serious canyon carver, you will be fine with the PS2's on the front and GY F1's on the back. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts