Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Some Z-06 Questions (when are 2002 coming, etc.

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  raj 
G
#1 ·
I jsut wanted to find out if anyone knows when the 2002's are going to be out, or at least start production? Any major changes as far as output is concerned? Sorry for the lame questions, but I am relatively new here and still a bit uncertain as to whether or not I should wait until the 2002's come or bite the bullet and go with a 2001. Hell, for that matter, I am still only %60 sure that I am going to get a Z-06 instead of the new M3. I don't want to start a pissing contest between the two cars, so please don't take the reference to the M3 as a showing of disrespect. After lurking on this board as well as an M3 board, I have seen several flame wars between the two cars' proponents. I like both cars, but they do seem like two entirely different animals. To be honest, I have never owned an M3 nor a corvette. By brother did have a C5 and I drove that quite a bit. My biggest concern with the z-06 is reliability and polish. How do these things hold up? Is the Z-06 prone to any problems so far? I have looked for problems, but I havn't seen any so far (hopefully a good omen!). I have the same concerns with the M3 as well. Basically I am just a little undecided and I would like some feedback on the experiences thus far, both good and bad, with the Z-06.

Thanks,
Blyele

------------------

See less See more
G
#3 ·
M3NOMORE,
It sounds like you bought a real lemon. I have the same reliability concerns about BMW. My biggest nightmare is turning over a car that has had absolutely no problems (2000 Boxster S) in exchange for one that might be problematic. I have never owned a Corvette, nor a BMW and can only go by second and third hand information. I have owned many GM cars over the years. Most of the time they were fairly reliable but they did have finish type problems. For example, panels rattling loose, trim falling off, paint pealing off, etc. Granted this wasn't a vette but I would hate to fork over $50K and find that this is the case. Of course, I don't want to fork over $55K for the M3 and find the same thing that you had to go through, especially when the BMW Dealers around Dallas have a bad reputation when it comes to service departments. ANyone know how the service departments are for Chevy Dealers in the Dallas area?

Thanks,

BLyle

------------------

#4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLyle:
M3NOMORE,
It sounds like you bought a real lemon.

BLyle

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, when I got to know the Service/Shop Formans better, they told me I was lucky to have as few problems as I did. When I told my service writer about the oil consumption, he looked at his partner and they both started laughing. They both said "Hey it's a BMW."

Trading out of a Boxtser S would be a difficult choice for me, and I almost bought one (but that's another thread). They don't exactly suck. If you like the ragtop, wait for the M3 convertible.

------------------

#5 ·
Any car can turn out bad without necessisarily being a lemon. I've had both a 535 and an LS 400 that were absolute dogs. At least BMW tried to fix their problems Lexus simply played the denial game.

The bottom line is all mfgs build some bad cars. Live and learn. Lexus and it's parent company Toyota will never get another penny out of me.

------------------

G
#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FRC Tom:
This late in the model year I would wait for the 20 more HP in the '02.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So they are adding another 20 HP for next year to bring it up to 405? Damn, what a machine that will be. There isn't a plan to change the car cosmetically until 2003, right?

------------------

#7 ·
The Vette body style is scheduled to change in 2004. Like Tom said, the 2002 will probably be bumped up another 20 horsies and the wheels will probably change. You need to go for a test drive, I think you will like the way the Z06 handles. Its a very tame car for daily driving.

I have over 4K miles on both my Zs and haven't had any trouble with either of them yet.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

f-calmes@worldnet.att.net

#8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLyle:
My biggest concern with the z-06 is reliability and polish. How do these things hold up? Is the Z-06 prone to any problems so far? I have looked for problems, but I havn't seen any so far (hopefully a good omen!). I have the same concerns with the M3 as well.

Thanks,
Blyele

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BLyle:

Reliability and polish... Let me tell you about my M3. First year- new differential, new transmission, excessive sun roof rattle, driver's side mirror kept falling off, driver's side door improper fit, and fuel system recall. For recall, instead of fixing problem, BMW rewrote software to overlook it. Second year- uneventful other than several trips to dealer to fix sunroof. Third year- New sun roof cassette and motor (still rattles), new catalytic converter, and high oil consumption.

The third year ends tomorrow and I'm turning the car in at noon. The door still does not fit right, the sunroof still rattles, and the car is consuming oil at about 1 qt. every 700 miles or so.

If you think that you are getting more reliability and polish from BMW then you would from a Vette, I think you may be expecting more than BMW can deliver. If you want to hear more about my dealerships and BMW Customer Service experiences, just let me know.

------------------

#9 ·
Typically the new model year Corvette is available at dealers starting in late July. The assembly plant is closed during mid-July for annual 2 week shutdown, and they return with building the new model year car. Best bet is to check with your dealer. Good luck, and I have had 3 new Vets since '99 and plan on ordering one of the first 2002 models as well.

Zippy

------------------

G
#11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcalmes:
This late into the production year, you might as well wait and get the extra horsies.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know it! It will be a shock to go from 255 hp to 405! (it is going to be 405 right?)

BLyle

------------------

#12 ·
Some dealers were able to place firm orders last year in mid-may, for mid july delivery. It's seems a secret as to why those orders were accepted so early, and who got to do them. I think FCalmes got his from the early order, check with him for advice.

Officially, the Z06 wasn't even listed in the computer until July 1. I placed my deposit June 1, but since my dealer was low on the totem pole my order wasn't officially allocated until August 22. Delivered November 28. A DAMN long wait.

If you decide on the Z06, and it will blow the M3 right off the road, look around for one of those privileged "insider" dealers that can get you an early order.

If you want a snappy sedan to ride the family around, and go fast sometimes, go with the M3, if you want an American legend, that goes WAY fast, get the Z!

------------------
e-mail: spdyz06@aol.com

Web Site - "Automobile of the Year"
http://members.aol.com/spdyz06

G
#14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcalmes:
BLyle,

The Z06 allocation opened on May 9th, 2000. I took delivery on July 31st. Best advice to you would be to find a dealer who gets large allocation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the post. Actually, I live in Dallas and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of available z-06's on the lots. Of course finding a delaer willing to sell them at sticker was another problem, but 1 dealership was willing to sell a Z-06 to me at sticker a month or so ago (I have been a long time on the fence post!) Assuming that the dealer I will probably buy from, has had a Z-06 on the lot every month for the last few months, do you think that dealer will be able to do the same thing with the 2002 models? At this point, I will probably wait until the 2002's come out, unless there will be a bigger problem with availability.

BLyle

------------------

#15 ·
I am pretty sure I saw the new wheels, they were 7 spokes and look a little like the 5 spoke wheels of 2000-2001, I do not know if these will be for the standard C5 or the Z06

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: carl@hcvind.com

#16 ·
Have had my Z06 for 4 months now and words cannot express my adoration for this beast! No car's perfect, but this one comes oh so close! Logged 14K trouble free miles on a C5 hardtop before this, if that's any indication of the reliabity of the car. As for the extra hp in 2002, nothing's been confirmed yet so a 6 month wait for what may just be a chimera may not be worth it.

------------------
'01 Torch Red/Torch Red Z06

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.