Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Given my experience, I think one can possibly induce a column lock by bearing weight inadvertently on the wheel as you turn the key and start the engine, thus binding the pin extraction.

I had it happen once on my 01 and can not repeat it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The column did not lockout the DIC message was "service steering column" and the car would not move above approximately 1 mph with out killing the engine (security system). The tech looked at it briefly with me on Saturday. I watched part of the diagnostics and the ignition key was being sensed. The body module relays were functioning but both the A and B lock and unlock motors showed either open circuit or ground (diagnostic tool doesn't distinguish between the two). I tried to get him to pull the hush panel below the column but he wouldn't do it till Monday (ain't chevy wonderful) I believe that it might be a loose connector to the lock and unlock motor module and position sensor. There were also codes for the active handling steering sensor and ABS. My gripe is that completely disableing a car because of a security system problem should have a work around so that you don't have to haul the car to the dealer. If somebody wants to steel a car bad enough they will get it regardless of any security system. So far I am out $135 for towing beyond the allowable limit (nearest chevy dealer) and my own time and fuel going to and from the dealer, Madera Chevrolet. They loaned me a truck overnight but I had to return it Saturday. I guess if I had bought the car from them the treatment might be better, next time I travel in this car I will take my torx head kit and some other hand tools, cause you never know!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Keep us posted please. One of the reasons I stepped up to an 02 was the column lock / brake booster / oil burning resolutions we were promised by GM with the new model year introduction.

Great information, please keep it coming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well it is now Wed. Evening and I still don't have the Z back. The dealer tech changed the body control module today and it didn't fix the problem, what a surprise! I ordered the C5 solutions bypass kit next day air and will probably go to the dealer and install it myself just to get the car out of there. I have not had my car for 6 days now, have gone 120 miles in trips to the dealer to beg them to work on it, and all I get are excuses. This wonderful car deserves a better dealer network with techs that know what they are doing. I doubt that this guy can even read a schematic.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This was one of the issues I asked about repeatedly and specifically during my Museum Delivery. Everyone I discussed this with at the plant and on the Museum delivery team swore the problem was resolved. But with only 920 miles on the "baby", I guess time will tell... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I had the problem on my '00 coupe. [2] '01's and no problem on my '02 YET. I think the problem has been fixed and it must be another un-related problem. I am having the old driver side seatbelt retractor problem on my '02 that alot of us had prior to the '01 model year. FUBU69/LES:) :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my car back today and it was the column lock module that failed. I would advise all of you to get a bypass kit and carry it with you along with a #15 torx head screw driver and a flatblade screw driver, at least you can get home if the OEM part fails.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Is GM using 01 parts on 02 cars again jeez.Must have been in back of the bin.:( Just curious was your car a early 02 build?

·
Registered
20 Posts
They would't show me the part but I suspect there may have been an open ground circuit because neither the A or B motor would run. It wasn't the column is locked and won't unlock problem. It still put me out of the car for 6 days though.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BCSX3170 -- Would a column bypass kit work in your case? Hard to say if the column was already locked, and the module failed so it wouldn't unlock.

Torched said:
Is GM using 01 parts on 02 cars again jeez.Must have been in back of the bin.:( Just curious was your car a early 02 build?
Speaking of that, I think I read on the other forum that someone with an 02 Z06 had the 2001 model airbox lid (the one with the small intake opening) on his Z -- guess they are using left over parts :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 01. The column did not lock up, but the motors froze in the unlock position. Everytime I'd hit 3mph, the PCM would shut the injectors down.

I found that if you carry an 8mm wrench is disconnect the battery for awhile (hour or so), the car will let you drive until you turn the motor off. After that, you have to disco the battery again. Not really a solution, but it beats being stuck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Early build 2002

I have the second Z06 shipped into Canada, Scott Jarvie has the first one. I have the larger airbox opening. I wonder if the other forum individual was comparing the stock 2002 opening to a larger 2001 cut out opening. Most Corvette show n shine C5's have a modified air filter intake mod - lots have cut the shroud out to the limit and they "look factory" because they are meticulously done - maybe used a router, jig or pattern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts