Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the amount of aluminum in the LS1 powerplant it is a very good idea to use distilled water to keep unwanted minerals out of the system. You also want to use as little coolant in the mix as you can because Redline says that the Water Wetter is most effective in higher water content. Water Wetter is a fluid that bonds to the surfaces inside your cooling cavities and makes great contact between metal and water. This moves more heat out of the engine and into the water where it can be cooled. In my area (Seattle) I feel very comfortable with a 25% mix of DexCool.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been using distilled water in the cars for years. I learned my lesson in 1975 when the price of the aluminum radiator for my 62 jumped from $400 to $1200 from GM. Figured that distilled water was cheap insurance.

One note too, years ago I was told by a tech from Clayton Dynometers never to run more than a 50% antifreeze mix, because the coolant starts to foam. For all you youngens they used to run water in the dynos to put the load on the rollers with a pump and varible restriction and mixed anti freeze in with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts