Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really debating cats or not. I don't really want a bad smell, and it seems that it's smells pretty bad w/o cats. I've heard sounds clips w/o cats, and it sounds dang good. Does anyone have anything to say about the sound with cats? my main concern is a tin can rattle sounds on decceleration, while revving down, or in between shifts. If anyone has a good sounds clip outside the car with LG headers with cats, can you please point me to it, or just give me what you think of the sound.
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do not have a bad smell without cats on my car, although others say they do. I like no cats because I have Borla Stingers and LT's and the drone is horrendous on the highway, being catless raised the RPM range of the drone so my car is actually quieter on the highway at cruisiing speed since I can cruise below the drone. I will never put my cats back on.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
The tin can rattle that you refer to is the stock pipes not the cats. You will not hear that sound with any of the complete header systems.

I have the complete LG header system ( with cats) and Bola stingers. Every time I go to the track at least one person asks what I have because it sounds so good. It will be a tad louder with removing the cats and that is about it.

Bottom line you can't go wrong here. But you need to hear these things in person if you have any doubts.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I don't have any sound clips but I went with the FLP's w/o cats and Borla Stingers. It's loud, mean and blue :z: I've gone to many events where people have loved the sound. My wife thinks it's too loud but loves the stare's she gets. The only other set up I've heard that's louder is the SLP Loudmouth and the BB's?

The smell will dissipate after a while then it won’t be as noticeable. When I first ran w/o cats after installing my FLP’s the smell lasted about 3 months after hard driving. Now it’s not that bad. Sometimes on a cold start up you will get a wiff but it will burn off once up to temperature.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have any opinions on running the Headers with cats through the stock cat-back.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Surfnerv89 said:
Does anybody have any opinions on running the Headers with cats through the stock cat-back.
It will work just fine and it will be the quietest you can get with headers. Power will be very good. Little is gained in terms of power by replacing the stock muffler system (maybe 5-8 HP). Don Benson runs headers, no cats and the stock system and his car is quieter than mine (LG's, cats, stingers)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Headers, no cats and the stock Titanium system is my choice. :jammin:

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Headers no cats and B&B Bullets.

I love the smell of race gas in the morning.

I run some 100 octane unleaded, it smells just like the 110 leaded I add from time to time. :roll:

If you want to run 93 pump gas all you have to do is get the car tuned properly after the exhaust install and the smell will be reduced significantly.

BTW: About "THE SMELL" that is the way car were back in the day. All these young whipersnappers don't know what a hot rod is suppose to smell like. :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Surfnerv89 said:
I am really debating cats or not. I don't really want a bad smell, and it seems that it's smells pretty bad w/o cats. I've heard sounds clips w/o cats, and it sounds dang good. Does anyone have anything to say about the sound with cats? my main concern is a tin can rattle sounds on decceleration, while revving down, or in between shifts. If anyone has a good sounds clip outside the car with LG headers with cats, can you please point me to it, or just give me what you think of the sound.
Thanks
Sorry, no sound clips.

I will cover my own experiences though.

Installed LG Motorsport's Pro Long tube headers and they most definately deliver!

Catless is a bit harsh on the eyes and nose at first. I have a pair of Random Tech 3" in-3" out cats sitting in this very room that I bought from LG at his usual great price. I haven't felt the rush to install yet, and maybe that's an editorial in itself...

When you go with a catless setup you will be faced with 2 odor issues, if other's experience mirrors mine.

1 will be the smell from the "bending" or "machining" oil burning out of the headers and X pipe, etc.

2 will be the Nitrogen components of burning gas.. which is more noticable if you are used to cats which eliminate the smells great degree. These components can irritate your nose and eyes. Not much different that the pre cat convertor days.

Initially it's pretty overwhelming. Give it a few days and it's not.

IOW the initial eye burning deal will diminish greatly to the point beign hardly and issue.

If you are catless or not the increased power and torque < and believe me LG headers are THERE in this respect in a LARGE way... particularly above 3500 RPMs> it's a good investment. There's a BIG power difference only the "dead" could miss.

LG's headers and x-pipe without cats are, soundwise, much like Corsa'a best exhaust note without any "motorboat" idle sound. The only very minor resonance issue is at 50 mph in 6th, if you are inclined to be in that situation rather than shifting down to a more reasonable 5th. I was an audio engineer in a former life, so I hear things acutely.

Realitywise, highway cruise at 60 mph+ has no resonance issues whatsoever. At interstate speeds it not any different than a catted, stock, factory exhaust.

I'll have a report on the exhaust note and performance for the system, catted with RT cats from Lou, in a few days or weeks... because I'm not in any real hurry to change what's going on right now.

Hope my input helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts