How do you store your car?
How often do you start it?
How do you run it when you start it?
How do you shut it off?

What are you attempting to accomplish?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Dont store it, it was made to be driven. Cold weather doesnt hurt it a bit, and even though the salt looks nasty, it washes right off. Drive the car man! Never know what might happen to you, just a thought. Drive it, DO NOT save it!;) :z: :z:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Andy,

KY, is below the mason/dixon. When we talk cold we mean -15 -10 for days on end thrown in with 6-18" of snow anytime of the day or nite. Not a flame a reality. I store mine with a battery tender and the fuel stabilized. If , If a warm day comes i will start it and let run 10-15 mins and shut off.........

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Oh, I didnt realize it was that kind of winter, makes more sense to me now :) I thought he was talkin about a more milder winter like we tend to have here in KY. :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry about the :-? I really had no idea what a "Souterners " was. But now I see it was supposed to be "Southerners" I store mine with a full tank of gas, a battery tender, it sits six feet in the air, away from melted snow and the cold concrete floor. My garage is set to 55 degrees. It's a spoiled little Z06!!! :D :D
Here it is waiting for spring.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here's a good link for info regarding winter storage...

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/storage.html

Personally, I do the following:

1. Inflate the tires to the max pressure (44 psi).
2. Change the oil and oil filter
3. Fill the gas tank
3. Start it once a month and let it run until the oil temp gets over 200 degrees (about 20 minutes or so...)
4. Pray this global warming [email protected] is true and you'll wake up the next day with temps on the 80's.

How important is a fuel stabilizer if you start and run the engine once a month for 20-30 minutes???

Hope the link helps you out!

Come on spring!!!!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
176 Posts
storage procedure

here is my storage procedure for my cars:

1) Call insurance company and drop all coverage but fire & theft
2) Change Oil & Filter
3) Inflate tires to 40lbs.
4) Roll up all windows and place dessicant pack on floor
5) add Stabil fuel stabilizer to full tank of gas and let run 15 mins.
6) trickle charge battery once a month
7) look at car daily with tear in eye :cry:
8) pray for an early spring with a good strong rain to wash the road salt away

I do NOT start the car at all during its hibernation, my feeling is it will only produce condensation in the exhaust. In the spring I again drain the oil and replace the filter, and take it easy on the throttle until I refill the tank with fresh fuel. My garage is heated but I only keep it set at 40 degrees, just enough to keep it from freezing, and preventing the condensation that occurs when it becomes warm quickly after freezing temperatures. Seems to have worked well over the years for me for all my babies that sleep for 5 months on end each year.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Re: storage procedure

FastGlass said:
here is my storage procedure for my cars:

1) Call insurance company and drop all coverage but fire & theft
2) Change Oil & Filter
3) Inflate tires to 40lbs.
4) Roll up all windows and place dessicant pack on floor
5) add Stabil fuel stabilizer to full tank of gas and let run 15 mins.
6) trickle charge battery once a month
7) look at car daily with tear in eye :cry:
8) pray for an early spring with a good strong rain to wash the road salt away

I do NOT start the car at all during its hibernation, my feeling is it will only produce condensation in the exhaust. In the spring I again drain the oil and replace the filter, and take it easy on the throttle until I refill the tank with fresh fuel. My garage is heated but I only keep it set at 40 degrees, just enough to keep it from freezing, and preventing the condensation that occurs when it becomes warm quickly after freezing temperatures. Seems to have worked well over the years for me for all my babies that sleep for 5 months on end each year.
This man knows how to store a car. Great job.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Originally from the North (R.I.), been living south of the Mason Dixon Line for about 27 years now. This is how we "Southerners" store our cars.

1. Pull into garage, carport, or next to mobil home for shade.
2. Get out of car, walk to fridge grab cold beer.
3. Flop in comfortable chair, turn on TV
4. Check The Weather Channel to see where it's snowing in the
Northeast, Northcentral, and Northwest portions of the
country.
5. Laugh heartily and pat self on back for making move to South.
6. Go to fridge, get another beer.
7. Feed dog, while in kitchen, get another beer.
8. Fall asleep in front of TV watching ESPN racing.
9. Wake suddenly as wife arrives home from work, try to look
busy doing something... anything.
10. Eat supper.
11. Check The Weather Channel to see how hot it will be
tommorrow, complain about humidity.
12. Sleep well overnight knowing the road crews in the North are
working overtime plowing snow earning a good living.
13. Wake at dawn, morning constitutional, shower, shave.
14. Discover it's Saturday, wash car, dry, wax, or detail mist.
15. Ask wife if she wants to go with you for a drive, she won't...
16. Head to closest fast food place /Corvette Hang out.
17. Link up with "The Boys" discuss the lousy weather up North.
18. Repeat 1 - 13 every 24 hours and 14 -17 every 7 days.
This works for me. :cheers:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I put mine to sleep Nov 4 with only 904 miles on it. I did the following: 1) Filled gas tank Sunoco 94
2) added Stabil to tank
3) filled air in tires to 37PSI
4) Changed oil and filter Mobil1 5W30 ( 6 3/4 qts.) UPF44 Filter
5) washed and polished with Zaino
6) installed trickle charger 1.5 AMP (auto on/off)
7)covered car
8)called ins. co. dropped liability ins.
I also put down a large plastic sheet on the garage floor to act as a moisture barrier and parked the tires on 4 old rubber floor mats.
I do not start the engine at all while in storage.

carzzy

·
Registered
83 Posts
CARZZY, I'm in Rochester, too, and I store mine pretty much the same way as you. Great minds think alike, huh? (or something like that!!) :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
C5LOU said:
CARZZY, I'm in Rochester, too, and I store mine pretty much the same way as you. Great minds think alike, huh? (or something like that!!) :D
C5LOU,

Right! :cheers: I sent you a PM

carzzy

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't store mine either but I did have a couple thoughts when reading these posts.

Synthetic oil is known to have poorer corrosion protection capabilities than mineral oil. Fuel, even with stabilizer, does evaporate. Therefore, I think the start once a month and bring the oil up to running temp routine would be best.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey J-Rod,
You betcha, Vettes were made to be driven, not sit in storage.
I feel bad for our Z brothers in the snow/ice belts, they have to lose 3 - 4 months of Vette driving every season.
A moment of silence for those in the snow belt please.............
It's raining here today, so mine stays in it's "house", but it's supposed to be clear tomorrow.... so for those who can't get out yet.... we should smoke a couple of Goodyears for them.
Stan
:cheers:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just remembered another reason for starting the engine every month during storage. I don't want the same valve springs compressed for 4 months.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Roger Ramjet said:
I don't store mine either but I did have a couple thoughts when reading these posts.

Synthetic oil is known to have poorer corrosion protection capabilities than mineral oil. Fuel, even with stabilizer, does evaporate. Therefore, I think the start once a month and bring the oil up to running temp routine would be best.
I agree with that too. If your running the engine until the oil is above 200+ F then certainly there shouldn't be any condensation in the exhaust system or engine after running it that long. You should rev it up to about 2500 ~3000 RPMs and hold it there for 30 seconds or so every 5 miniutes to help heat everything up.

As far as gas stabilizers, I've never used them. If you start it up every month that will help get the sitting fuel moving too. I think the fuel today is way more stable than it was years ago. Fuel that is only 6 months old is not going to go bad to the point where the car wont run or it causes damage to the fuel system.

I bought a Batter Tender a few months ago and that is definately a good investment :D.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wrong, RRJ. You would have to run your car 20 to 30 minutes in a closed garage, (or cold open one)
to get Oil up to temp. Starting the engine with all the oil drained to the bottom is what causes the most wear. You don't want to do that but once. when you are ready to drive it again.
Mash

1 - 20 of 21 Posts