Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for my Z06 bruthas! I plan on installing NGK TR55s and I have heard the proper gap range is .055 to .060. With the mods I have listed in my sig. and a/f ratios in the high 12s at lower rpms and very low 12s at the highest rpms, where should I gap these pups? I will be using the stock wires. :cheers:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ron:

The maunal says .060, but most are gapping them at .055. BTW, I sent you a message about my car going up to DRM. Should ship today. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ron, It shoulden't make much differance. Some people feel closeing the gap when you have very high cylinder preasure(nos,s/c,very hi compresion) helps. The reality is if the ignition has enough power, it makes no hp differance on gap. As long as you fire and start the flame front. The colder plug just disapates heat to the head faster. Ric

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Ron,

I gapped mine at .057", as I figured that if I gapped at .060" as the plugs got older and erroded I'd have to replace them sooner rather than later.

If you're not worried about the time to replace them, go for .060"

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. What's the theory behind a .050 vs. a .060 for example? Benefit and detriments to larger gap? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I belive the theory is with higher cylinder preasure it is harder to fire(ionize?) the plug gap. When you open the gap it's possible to build up more heat in the wire. The vette has such short wire (low resistence) and one coil for each plug that a 60 gap should be fine, all the old problems have been taken care of. We have grate combustion chamber,and plenty of spark to fire and start a flame front at any gap within reason. Ric

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights. I'll probably gap them around .057.:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts