Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda of a dumb one, I do that alot :screwy:

everyone states that NGK Tr55 are the best for the vette and they cost $2.xx a piece, but I broke one last night checking them and bought a stock one from Ac delco and cost me $8, so is that why Tr55s are better, because they do the same as stock but cost 4x times less? :-?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i pretty sure the only reason the stock ones cost more is because they are platinum if i remember correctly. The tr55 is a copper plug. I personally like them and have run ngk plugs in all my previous cars.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I chose to go with NGK TR55 Solid Copper Core plugs. I got them from my local Auto Parts store. They are only a couple of bucks each.

These plugs match the heat range of the stock plugs and they cross-reference to the stockers.

The NGK TR55VX plugs are the same plug, but are the platinum tipped version. They have a thinner copper core.

The platinum coating actually won't last that long, and will break and/or burn off if you drive your LS1/6 hard. The solid copper TR55's won't have as much longevity, but will provide better performance. I estimate when driving hard, that replacement will need to come about 15K to 30K miles. The trade off is that the larger solid copper core will dissipate heat quicker than the Platinums, and will deliver a more reliable, more powerful spark. Platinums are strictly for longevity.

Rick :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The AC-Delco Iridium Plug has been the stock plug since 2003 and is the recommended replacement from GM. Hence the eight bucks a pop. - C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts