Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my spark plug wires melted on my headers, what brand do you guys recommend? I need some heat resistant boots as well I guess. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Lots of good aftermarket brands out there. I'm using Magnecor (KV85 competition) and have had NO problems.

Info from their web site:
"Magnecor's KV85 Competition (8.5mm) and R-100 Racing (10mm) Ignition Cables feature Magnecor's exclusive 2.5mm high capacity Metallic Inductance EMI Suppressed conductor consisting of stainless steel wire precisely wound at 200 turns per inch over a ferrimagnetic core. The insulating jacket is made entirely of Magnecor's exclusive TC-1500-HS high strength aerospace grade silicone rubber, and its single layer construction will prolong the jacket's insulating ability by conducting extreme heat away from hot-spots that occur near over-the-limit heat sources"

I like the 200 turns per inch as opposed to "resistive enhancing" coatings which can break down in other wires.

Link to their web site ==>> Click Here Lots of good information about wires.

Check with supporting vendors for these & other options.

George

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I am partial to the MSD wires, Taylor would be my second choice, and yes get some long insultated boot covers for the 2-3 areas where the wires come close to the headers. Even if they don't touch, the excessive heat will cause premature failure.

Les

Z06_2002 said:
One of my spark plug wires melted on my headers, what brand do you guys recommend? I need some heat resistant boots as well I guess. :lol:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the replies I will try the MSD wires this time with booties, I have the Taylors on right now. I have about 5,000 miles on the NGK plugs should I change them at the same time?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have the GM perf. wires. They have a heat protectant, sort of like "koolsox" or whatever they're called, built onto them. They are sitting right against my LGM headers and have held up just fine :yeadog:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I prefer the MSD wires, they have the lower resistance of all the available wires on the market. They have the inconel winding wire to provide this low resistance couple with EMI protection. The have a thick silicone jacket and wire protection. But I am sure there are others similar to MSD. Just make sure to choose one that does have the metallic wire windings.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
alexWS6 said:
I have the GM perf. wires. They have a heat protectant, sort of like "koolsox" or whatever they're called, built onto them. They are sitting right against my LGM headers and have held up just fine :yeadog:
Alex,

Do you know the part number for these?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone tried either Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm or Taylor Thundervolt 50? Which do you recommend with long tube headers (ARH)? Want to put in some E3 spark plugs with new wires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts