Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i did a search here and well looked like that everyone was very comfortable chaning their spark plus and as i hit 40k miles on my z i thought now will be a good time to put some new ones in there as i have a 2001. Well i got all the passenger side ones open and then i went to the driver side OUCH. I thought ok if i remove the coil may be it will get easier but the last screw the one one that holds the coil near the alternator i can not get anything in there to open it ? How do i open that? Also i do have like a 400 piece kit so it had the swivel heads and stuff but do you guys think that buying the snapon tool will make it more easy? i am just about given up on the last 3 plugs so please help.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sent you a PM :cheers:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the PM that about covers most of the answers I was looking for I don’t know how I missed them the first time around :) I guess I should learn how to follow instructions and not skip steps :) but that still leaves me with one problem how to take the coil over out the last screw I pointed out above is still in there and the instruction set does not say anything about how to remove the coils :( so please help some more :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just loosened the serpentine belt, took the top bolt off the alternator mount, and swung the alternator out of the way. Voila'! Bolt access!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I certainly have never said it was easy. I don't remove the coil packs, but do remove the air tube that bolts into the header with two bolts (10mm I think) about the middle of the header so I can get my wrench on the rearmost plug on the driver's side. I don't use a swivel drive on my wrench and can get to that last plug, but... it isn't easy or fun. :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Snap-on double swivel spark plug socket, PN 9721a, makes changing the plugs a much easier job. It is definitely worth the $43.25 price. I don't remove the coils.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DavePro said:
The Snap-on double swivel spark plug socket, PN 9721a, makes changing the plugs a much easier job. It is definitely worth the $43.25 price. I don't remove the coils.

ouch 55 bucks shipped for something i am never going to use again :) for a very long time :( that hurts

·
Registered
77 Posts
i dont understand how your having a problem with that one?? that was my easiest one as well.. why would you take off the coils?? only thing i removed was my air tube on the drivers side and i could get to them all real quick.. bought a swivel ratchet from autozone, duralast, has a nice long handle and swivel head and it works awesome.. cost me 17 something i think?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YAA HOO finally got it done :) and witout the swivel thingee :) well for the plug 8 i had to use a single swivel with a long extension and it came out just fine changed my wires with the MSD ones and well all looks cool now :) there was alot of white stuff ( carbon may be ) on the plugs so i guess i will have to de carbonize my system as well.

but thanks everyone for their help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes... a white or light tan color indicates balanced combustion... these plugs are pretty easy to change with a ratchet, a 3" extension, a 6" extension, a u-joint socket, and a spark plug socket. With these basic Craftsman tools, I can change plugs in under 1/2 hour; a 2 beer job at most.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ditto with ck98c.

Done it 2wice, and with the right tools its about 20 times easyer than the old Ford 427 Mustang that you literally had to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine just to get at the plugs.

You don't have to unbolt anything but the plugs! :coo:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going to be doing this soon, probably next weekend assuming all the parts come in. Is there a pictorial/DIY guide for doing this somewhere? I did order the Snap-on double swivel doohickey, found one used on the 'bay for $30, so that should help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts