Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you give me an idea how the driveability with this unit? I decided to get one after talking to IanZ and called the turbo company to ask them to upgrade. They told me to stay with the Spec III. I mentioned that it isn't rated for that kind of power and I wanted the 5.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
Norman

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Well Norman, you already know that I have the Spec 5 iron disk clutch and although I was leary about drivability before the install, I was wrong. It is fine, even for daily driving.
The clutch pedal is pretty stiff and you have to up your revs starting in first gear about 750rpm more than before, but I don't think you will have any problems driving witht his clutch. Is it more of an on/off switch than the Spec 3.....yes, but again I say you will quickly get used to it and pretty soon won't be able to tell the diff.

Mike

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikesZ06 said:
Well Norman, you already know that I have the Spec 5 iron disk clutch and although I was leary about drivability before the install, I was wrong. It is fine, even for daily driving.
The clutch pedal is pretty stiff and you have to up your revs starting in first gear about 750rpm more than before, but I don't think you will have any problems driving witht his clutch. Is it more of an on/off switch than the Spec 3.....yes, but again I say you will quickly get used to it and pretty soon won't be able to tell the diff.

Mike
Thanks Mikeee,

This guy actually, almost argued with me. I told him I just wanted the spec 5. Make it happen. :lol:

PS. Let's meet at Cascone's for an Insurance lunch some time. :yeadog:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Norm:

How much RWHP are you expecting?

I don't have a 5 but do have a 2/3 (and Alum. F/W) with about 12,000 miles and probably 20-25 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile passes, half done on Drag Radials and half on ET streets. At the time I had about 610 RWHP / 585 RWTQ.

I have had zero problems and the clutch feels almost like stock. I have also turned up the wick to a 650RWHP tune without problems. I don't do burnouts or generally abuse the car but I do drive it hard...as it was designed to be. You don't have to kill the car at these kinds of power levels to get a full on adrenalin rush.

As far as going to a 5, it's going to be a very aggressive grab as it's a metal to metal clutch. It will also squeal. Daily drivability will definitely be compromised as compared to a 3.

Unless you track the car regularly, I would go with your tuner's recommendation and stay with the 3. Good luck.

JWz06.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JWz06 said:
Norm:

I don't have a 5 but do have a 2/3 (and Alum. F/W) with about 12,000 miles and probably 20-25 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile passes, half done on Drag Radials and half on ET streets. At the time I had about 610 RWHP / 585 RWTQ.

I have had zero problems and the clutch feels almost like stock. I have also turned up the wick to a 650RWHP tune without problems. I don't do burnouts or generally abuse the car but I do drive it hard...as it was designed to be. You don't have to kill the car at these kinds of power levels to get a full on adrenalin rush.

As far as going to a 5, it's going to be a very aggressive grab as it's a metal to metal clutch. It will also squeal. Daily drivability will definitely be compromised as compared to a 3.

Unless you track the car regularly, I would go with your tuner's recommendation and stay with the 3. Good luck.

JWz06.
I hope to be pushing similar numbers to Mike. I know, wishful thinking. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well in that case, do they make a Spec VII :eek:

JWz06.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
JWz06 said:
Norm:

JWz06.
JW, there is little to no squeal with this clutch. On rare occasions I get a small chirp in first gear, but that's all!

(Btw, I had the Spec 3 previously. It lasted about 4 months)

Mike

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JWz06 said:
Well in that case, do they make a Spec VII :eek:

JWz06.
I heard that they are working on a special clutch for Mike's application. It's the super hybrid, flux capacitor driven, Spec Tarantula! :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts