Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I will be doing my first "solo" bleed before my next DE(I learned the ropes of bleeding from a member in their garage using the good ole' gravity method)

first question. what do you folks do with used brake fluid? Hopefully it can be recycled like oil? what's the safe way to dispose of it?

secondly, can you experienced folks show me the ropes on the Speed Bleeders? I spent the extra few bucks and got the SS kind.

Any tricks, tips or things to look out for? How do you know how tight to put them on? Are they really 1/4 turn and your bleeding? Ever experience any leaking?

I ordered their "plasma bag" disposal container. do you think it's sufficient or are the Pegasus or Mallet bottles better?

thanks very much....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jeff,
The company you got the speed bleeders from should know the torque settings.
If not, someone here will chime in with the specs.

I don't know anywhere that will take used brake fluid.
I heard of one guy who used to slip a pint or so of brake fluid in with the used motor oil to be recycled. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I recommend and prefer the Mallett or Pegasus Brake Bleed Bottle because it is neat and clean. No muss, no fuss, no ness.

It also allows you to bleed solo and still see if there is air. If there is no air in the loop of tubing you are done.

After the initial install. I place a wrench on the bleeder and install the tubing, crack the bleeder open 1/4 turn, bleed and then close by turning the wrench back to the same closed position.

I use 10 -> 2 -> 10 o'clock positions without removing the wrench or tubing. Then I pinch the tubing, remove it and allow it to drain back into the bottle, then place it in its sealed holder. I dispose of the bottle contents with the oil change waste.

Once a year I remove the bleeders from the caliper, clean the outlet hole threads, clean the bleeder threads and use new sealant.

Remember to bleed hot and use a rubber mallet to bang the caliper, this will help dislodge any air.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks DJ :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts