Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wondering if you could help me out. I am nearly positive because of the fact that I have driven my Z pretty fast, but there are no electronic speed limiters on regular vettes or Z06s right? Are there any cars that GM produces that have electronic speed limiters? I am having a discussion with a buddy who has a Jag X-Type that is speed limited to 121 and I am claiming the Z and vettes in general dont have one. Just want to verify I am right. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nothing on Corvette's. When manufacturers place speed limiters on cars it's usually because the don't have speed rated tires. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Coupes too, I had one, and yes it was the tires.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Don't know, I've had the Z over 150 mph and it's still pulling strong....so they must have it set pretty high. :jawdrop: :lol:

Bob :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hit 160 in my Z and then let off. The rev limiter kicks in at 6500rpm, which from what I understand, is around 172mph +/- in fifth gear. :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
There is a speed limiter on C5s and Z06s. I just don't think you will have to worry about hitting it. :rofl:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had this discussion with another fellow about a 'degraded performance setting'.

Ever give your Z to someone, like a son, daughter, dealership where you'd like to be able to set the car that it won't rev beyond a set point, and set the rev limiter no higher than the legal limit?

They could set it with the key. One key gives you full performance. The other key that activates a code that set's the rev limiter, say at 3K, and top speed at 60 mph, and not able to disable traction control..... :sneaky:

Think about the peace of mind when you give the keys to someone, say your son, daughter, or mechanic.... :D

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The ZR1 had a valet key.
I have a file that has the rev limit set at 3000 and the speed at 55 I call service. I wrote this after the last time I had my front end aligned. While I was paying, the guy that pulled it off the rack decided to give it a test drive. He was gone a good 12-15 min and when I got home I couldn't get the car out of 4th.
Since I always have the laptop hooked up when my car is working, I will make a point to upload my service file even if I stop for an oil change.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't know about C4s but, cars like the C5 Corvette and Viper do NOT have a speed limiter. They are only limited by RPMs. Other cars, like a Mustang, pickup, even the 4th gen Camaro have a speed limiter. Our cars do not because of the higher speed capability - whether it's tires, suspension, whatever. The C5 and C5 Z were made to see higher performance numbers in stock form.

Design, baby... design. :D

For you guys wishing you had some sort of valet control... you can use the Predator for such a function. Set limits, upload the program and you're set. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I don't know about C4s but, cars like the C5 Corvette and Viper do NOT have a speed limiter. They are only limited by RPMs. Other cars, like a Mustang, pickup, even the 4th gen Camaro have a speed limiter. Our cars do not because of the higher speed capability - whether it's tires, suspension, whatever. The C5 and C5 Z were made to see higher performance numbers in stock form.

Design, baby... design. :D
Read, baby... read. FRC Tom already posted the speed limiter. It's too high to reach, but it IS there.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
leaftye said:
Read, baby... read. FRC Tom already posted the speed limiter. It's too high to reach, but it IS there.
Yeah!
:lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts