Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
It's really pretty simple. If you are trying to average 130 and find yourself 2 seconds behind, you need to drive 135 for 2.1 miles or 140 for 1 mile. On the other hand, if you are 2 seconds ahead, you need to slow to 125 for 2.1 miles or 120 for 2.3 miles.---- or is that 2.4 miles for 100 plus 16, add the number of days since your last taco....... Well, you get the idea.
See what I mean :lol: I think I'd hang back for a while and then just haul ass :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like you and Lugnut always have a great time (unless rabbits are playing in the road). Hopefully Peggy and I can make it one year. Congrats on your finish. :thumb:

·
21,354 Posts
Officially, we were .609 sec off of perfect and placed 3rd in our class of 18 cars. It's mind blowing that the 1st 6 cars all came in with less than a second off perfect.

The final grid just before the start.

Dawn doing her best to appear calm and in control.

She got kinda pissed when I told her I needed a wide angle lens for this pic.

Lunch in Sanderson, waiting for the slower cars to arrive.

This was our stopwatch time. Officially, we were .158 sec earlier.

I figure it's runnin' a bit rich.

We did manage to take out a small bird and a respectable number of west Texas bugs.

I got some pretty decent in-car video that I'll post after we get home. It was fun.
I see you roll your own protection!

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like you and Lugnut always have a great time (unless rabbits are playing in the road). Hopefully Peggy and I can make it one year. Congrats on your finish. :thumb:
:lol: Still trying to figure out how to edit a video to YouTube. When I do, you'll see a bird strike at about a buck fiddy.

If you are serious about making the race, you'd better start making plans NOW. If you don't register between Jan 1 and Jan 6th, you probably won't make the 160 car cut.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Videos as promised. Use full screen & crank up the volume and you can hear Dawn calling the turns.

Here's the final tech inspection prior to the start:

Approaching the start line and one more walk around by the starter:

Rowing thru the gears. Watch for a birdstrike @ 43 sec:

I love the cut thru the mountain @ 22 sec. Watch the speedo climb @ 34 sec:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
WOW! What a rush! Driving a buck seventy-five pass deer crossing signs.

I am going to have to put this annual event on my bucket list. For once, I would like to drive through Texas without getting a speeding ticket.

Texas Speed Limits driving from Colorado Springs to Lubbock.

70 - Day
65 - Night

Last ticket in Texas was 83 in a 70. :eek:wnd: Same ticket in Kansas a year earlier but $100 less.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Northbound speedtrap. Probably gonna have to enlarge it:

This was taken 2 miles after the finish line:

Kinda fuzzy, but I didn't think the MPG was too bad for 118 miles @ 130:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
WOW! What a rush! Driving a buck seventy-five pass deer crossing signs.

I am going to have to put this annual event on my bucket list. For once, I would like to drive through Texas without getting a speeding ticket.

Texas Speed Limits driving from Colorado Springs to Lubbock.

70 - Day
65 - Night

Last ticket in Texas was 83 in a 70. :eek:wnd: Same ticket in Kansas a year earlier but $100 less.

Speed limits have increased on most rural highways to 75 and the 65 night speeds are now history. Speed on. :drunken:

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
That looks like such a blast Tom! Congrats on a good finish.

·
21,354 Posts
That is so cool that Dawn loves to go fast. My wife wouldn't even consider it (she's such a wuss!) :lol:

That does look like fun. I might have to give that a try!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts