Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out their website at

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

for a detailed description of their product.

Basically, speedbleeders allow you to bleed your brakes quickly and (most importantly in my case) without the hassle of getting one of your roomates to pump the brakes for you while you open and close the bleeder valves.

They are a simple replacement item for your stock bleeder valves, you will need four 10mm speedbleeders (they are sold in packs of two) . Total cost to me was $35.

The only problem I had was due to their instructions about the dangers of overtightening (speedbleeders are soft and will break if overtightened). Don't let this warning bother you, I had to really crank down on them to get the check valves to close completely, after that I had no problems.

I have even subjected them to a weekend of track use with the only problem being the above mentioned extra tightening required.

For those of you who bleed brakes regularly due to track use, this is an easy and cheap mod that will save you time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have Russel Speed Bleeders on my '96 Z-28... they worked great. I couldn't find Russel Speed Bleeders locally and didn't have time to order them, nor did I know the correct thread size or pitch so I yanked my stock bleeders off and went searching for some bleeders. I found that Earl's now makes some. Totally different design, but about the same price. I got my Russel's at Pep Boys a few years back for $10.95 a pack (two in a pack.) Pep Boys doesn't carry them anymore, or at least not in my town. These Earl's are called Solo bleeders and work just as fine. I noticed I had to open the Russel's a LOT to allow enough flow to bleed them. The Earl's didn't need as much to back them off.

Correct size for C5's (at least my '02 Z06) was 10mm x 1.00 for front and back.

I'm also going to get a vaccum operated pump to assist in bleeding them. Groits Garage sells this canister (about a foot and a half tall and half a foot in diameter) that you pump up with a handle and attach a hose to the bleeder valve. Then it just sucks fluid out and you keep adding fluid to the master cylinder. Costs about $75. Makes this a try one man bleeder system. Actually you can use this without speed bleeders too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
brake bleeding

ZO SIC

I would consider a pressure operated brake bleeder rather than a vacuum operated one.

Almost all auto shops use pressure based systems.

You pour fluid in the large pressure tank rather than the small engine compartment mounted reservior. The risk of spilling brake fluid on the paint or engine compartment plastic is greatly reduced.

Pushing the fluid with pressure is much easier than pulling it with vacuum.

It is also a lot easier to operate the pressure pump near the engine compartment than it would be to operate the vacuum pump underneath the car near the brake bleeders.

Movit products in Berkeley CA has an excellent, inexpensive ($40-60) product. Many people on the BMW forum like it. Some of them even made their own with home depot bug sprayers!

Hope this helps.

John Pease
Z06 on order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts