Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install Sport Seats in my Z when it arrives. These have the opening in the trim to supposedly accomodate shoulder harnesses (FYI the non-sport seat frames also have this opening, but it is covered up by the foam and trim).

I am concerned about belt routing. Are there any harness bars available that allow the shoulder harnesses to come directly off the harness bar, through the seat, and over the shoulder WITHOUT requiring the belt to route DOWN through the seat back, then back UP over the shoulders? I want to eliminate any s-bends in the belt (in a crash the belt will break the back of the seat if it puts force on the seat - this in turn would cause the belt to be loose while it takes up the slack).

In a nutshell, without having the seats in front of me, it appears that all the harness bars I've seen pictures of require the belt to snake down through the seat back opening and back up over the driver's shoulders. Is this really the case? Best mounting technique would be a straight shot through the back of the seat from slightly below the shoulder level.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you want a "custom" installation,
you're going to have to look at aftermarket seats, i.e. Recaro, MoMo.
What would lead you to want to change your seats? Are you going to race the ZO6 a lot?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Lambinator,

I've been strapped into a buddy's C5 with sport seats and a Brek-Kraus harness bar. Seems to me that the bar sat at least level (not higher, I don't think) with the seat opening, and I never got the impression that the belts did any snaking through the backing and up over the shoulders. And, when I was in there with the belts tightened down, I wasn't going ANYWHERE! You're jammed in there, and I don't think there was ANY slack that would give/be taken up in an accident.

Heve you checked into the Brey-Kraus? Did you determine that the belts don't sit loew enough behind the seats?

Now, here's MY question -- How'd you determine that our stock Z seats have the same framework/backing as the Sport seats? And, if this is true, couldn't you just get the stock Sport seat COVERINGS to put over your existing seat frame (instead of buying and installing new seats)? If so, I'd want to go this route!

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kirk,

Thanks for the info. I have not seen the B-K bar, I was just eyeballing things based on some of the other bars and seat setups I've seen in pictures. Perhaps my concern is unfounded.

As for the seat frames...I work for the company that makes the seats. I don't directly work on the Vette program, but I participated in a cost reduction seat teardown on both the sport and standard seats a few weeks ago. I also had lunch with the engineer yesterday. The frame is actually a glass filled nylon composite frame (not metal). The back and cushion frames are identical for both the seat styles. In order to change trim, you would also need to change the foam. Also, the sport seat includes air filled side bolsters, which the standard seat does not have. So IMO, in order to get the full benefits of the sport seats, you'd need to swap the whole seat.

It's a shame that GM is cutting corners on the seats, because they could be so much better. More changes in store for '03.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

On 2001-06-21 16:22, VPRKLLR spewed forth this drivel:
If you want a "custom" installation,
you're going to have to look at aftermarket seats, i.e. Recaro, MoMo.
What would lead you to want to change your seats? Are you going to race the ZO6 a lot?
Bssed on the warranty voiding issue, I will NEVER be racing my Z, it will NEVER see the track, and I don't even know what you are talking about! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Lambinator,

Wow, you sure know your seats! Your involvement with these seats sounds really interesting!

Hmmm.. Well, I was hoping that your answer was going to be that yes, you could just put different skins on the seats, but I guess that would be just too easy and sensible for GM, huh? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Oh well.

Well, DO check out the B-K bar! It looks awesome (and, again, the harnesses worked great with it). It's a quality piece for sure (and it happens to look great, too).

-Kirk

G

·
I use the AS&M bar and it works out well.
I do open road racing and they insist that the belts go through the seat back hole to prevent the shoulders from slipping out of the belts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts