Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be running a 5177 NOS kit for the time being with the pills for 100 shot in. I have never dynoed a car with nitrous before and I know I can't bounce it off the rev limiter. What do I do?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
a window switch set at 3100 and 6300 would solve the rev limiter problem. NEVER spray below 3000 rpms, engine ain't movin, I'm gonna guess you've seen the video of the yellow 01 that sprayed at too low of an rpm.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
undertaker said:
a window switch set at 3100 and 6300 would solve the rev limiter problem. NEVER spray below 3000 rpms, engine ain't movin, I'm gonna guess you've seen the video of the yellow 01 that sprayed at too low of an rpm.
Yea I have seen that and the problem was he was spraying wet at too low of an rpm, fuel puddled in the intake and BOOM! Fire! I know my nitrous very well like I said, was spraying 180+ shot direct port on my trans am for over a year. Just wondering about how to dyno because I have never done it. :thumb:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Chances are very good that your peak HP will be made ~6000rpm, so even without a window switch, there is no reason (for HP/TQ #s purposes) to take it over 6000-6100rpm.

I have dyno'd several cars on spray and I'd recommend since you're lugging it in 4th to wait til 3500rpm on the dyno. On the street you'll never hit it at 3000rpm in 4th... you'd downshift and nail it in 3rd and once you upshift into 4th you'll be over 4k rpm anyway.

You'd probably be fine spraying at 3000 on the dyno in 4th, but that's still a lot of load on the motor and its not accelerating _that_ fast in 4th gear.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Use a window to shut off nitrous at about 200 rpm below your set redline. If you're using stock cam and valvetrain, then this will be at about 6300-6400 rpm. Make sure you're on a grippy section on the rollers and not on the part that's worn out from too much use. Tighten the belts well, equal pressure in tires and look to make sure tires are contacting rollers well. Then have fun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
Chances are very good that your peak HP will be made ~6000rpm, so even without a window switch, there is no reason (for HP/TQ #s purposes) to take it over 6000-6100rpm.

I have dyno'd several cars on spray and I'd recommend since you're lugging it in 4th to wait til 3500rpm on the dyno. On the street you'll never hit it at 3000rpm in 4th... you'd downshift and nail it in 3rd and once you upshift into 4th you'll be over 4k rpm anyway.

You'd probably be fine spraying at 3000 on the dyno in 4th, but that's still a lot of load on the motor and its not accelerating _that_ fast in 4th gear.
I agree. On the street you have no business spraying at 3K RPMS in 4th gear.

·
Registered
417 Posts
On all of my dynos, you go through the gears to bring the speed up so that when you get into 4th, your speed is there to prevent lugging. Then you floor it, the revs get to 3k quickly and your spray comes on. I've done about 20 pulls on with mine on 3 different dynos and only had problems when the car spun on a slick section of the rollers (because they were well worn). The main thing, in my opinion, is to not spray below 3k rpm. If you're using a stock cam, then anywhere higher than 6k rpm will not net you anymore hp. If it's an aftermarket cam and valvetrain, then feel free to nudge it higher, but I'd do this on motor first to see how high you make power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I understand no hp will be gained by still spraying "up to" redline BUT will it damage or hurt the motor if you did? Reason I ask is because I am installing my NX kit and I know not to spray under 3k rpm but do not want to have to spend $200 on this if I dont need to. Basically what I am doing is using the nitrous for highway runs, 50mph- 150mph. Never will I be under 3k, but I dont want to have to worry about the nitrous during these runs.

Thanks! :usa:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
It will only hurt the motor if you stand on the rev-limiter (fuel cut-off) with the nitrous flowing. This could happen for a number of reasons... missed shift, slipping clutch, etc.

That's why a window switch that cuts off nitrous flow before you get to the engine rev-limiter is a good option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
msd 8969 digital window switch

Pick yourself up an MSD 8969 digital window switch 4 wires to hook it up 1-2 mins to program an for under 90.00 bucks it is a great insurance policy very easy install aout 30 mins. Set it at 3000 or 3500 on and set the off at 6100-6300 and you will have a much safer setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts