Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, maybe I should read all the threads first, but it's late. Anyway, I've never raced at the drag strip. Been there alot, but just as a spectator. But, spring is coming and I really want to race my stock '01. Hopefully, I may have a mod or 2 before opening day.

Anyway, I'm looking for some experienced suggestions for a newbie drag racer. RPMS's out of the hole; tire pressure; to burn out or not to burn (I've been told that burn outs are useless without street slicks) etc. Would appreciate anyone's help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There is no one right way, because there are so many variables. My best advice is to get what you can from the threads on the subject,but remember the bacic principle of good et's is to smoothly get the power down. Learning to feel and hear what the car is doing, and adjusting what YOUR doing to get as much power down as quickly as conditions and your combination will allow. If you have a more specific question it's much easer. Ric

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shifter:

By the looks of your sig, you may be my hero. Smokin' ET and MPH. Also, your Camaro must be a real thrill ride!

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'll have many questions to follow.

Gary

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Gary

there is a group of dedicated racers right under your nose (Ranger is one of us. I learned a lot from him at the track :yeadog: :yeadog:). We have shop night at criswell on the 4th tuesday of the month. Come join us! I think our group is gonna try autoxing this year also!
Mike

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
gnoub,

Welcome, you will find all kinds of views on this, but one main thing is that any tire once it gets hot will pickup anything on the track. Even street tires.. do a burn out, if nothing but to clean the rocks and cigs off the tires. Street tires don't go in the water box, all you will do is drag it up to the line, and make a lot of people mad. :)
Like Mike said, hook up with the group on shop night at chriswell Chevy, and see Ranger Run..... A little practice and you'll be on your way... Good luck, Can't wait for the spring to come.

Ernie

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike/Ernie:

See you at shop nite!!

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts