Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been getting a lot of request recently on what the appropriate fill level recommendations are for the Tranny and Diff and what type of fluids are recommended. Here are the recommended fill levels for the Tranny & Diff. and AMSOIL fluid Part #'s as a reference

Tranny:
Non Synthetic Dexron III ATF or Synthetic ATF Equlivant
3.9 L. OR 4.1 Quarts

Diff:
Synthetic 75W90 Gear Lube + Anti Slip Additive
1.6 L. OR 1.69 Quarts Gear Lube
PLUS
118 ml OR 4.0 Ounces Additive

AMSOIL Part # Reference:
ATFQT - Synthetic ATF (exceeds Dexron III Specs), 1 qt
SVGQT - 75W90 Synthetic Extreme Pressure Gear Lube, 1 qt
ADABA - Anti Slip Additive, (4 oz)
G2039 - Hand Pump Kit

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Don, I changed out the tranny fluid last year at 5,000 miles and have 10,000 miles a year later. (Used another product MXXXX1 :( but did inquire about AMSOIL) Never changed diff from stock fluids.

You recommend a fluid change again including the diff, or just do the rear diff?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you race or drive the car hard I would change both.

If not you may be able to only change the Diff.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Golffox said:
You recommend a fluid change again including the diff, or just do the rear diff?
I personally think the getting the car up is half the work, so if I had it up for a diff change, I'd probably change the tranny fluid as well. But, as DJ said, unless you really drive hard, your tranny fluid is likely still fine. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
No need? Are you on drugs?

I just flushed my trans and diff tonight. Before the trans was balky, and a bit stiff. Now its smooth as butter.

Oh, and it was balky with Amsoil ATF... It had been about 20k miles since the last time I changed it. In went more Amsoil, and its back to butter again.

Seriously, with the heat our transmissions see, they do break down the fluid a lot faster than normal.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I did some maintenance 2 weeks ago on my tranny and diff. Drove it for one day then harsh grinding noise was coming from my rear-end! Finds out it is my clutch plates have alot of wear? Still waiting of extended warranty to reply on if they are going to cover it :flaming: . I hate this process.

·
Registered
289 Posts
mgarfias said:
No need? Are you on drugs?

I just flushed my trans and diff tonight. Before the trans was balky, and a bit stiff. Now its smooth as butter.

Oh, and it was balky with Amsoil ATF... It had been about 20k miles since the last time I changed it. In went more Amsoil, and its back to butter again.

Seriously, with the heat our transmissions see, they do break down the fluid a lot faster than normal.
Sorry...guess you're more knowledgeable than the GM engineers. According to them...it doesn't need to be changed. OK...gotta run...time to take my PROZAC ;-)

·
Registered
902 Posts
JETBLU said:
Sorry...guess you're more knowledgeable than the GM engineers. According to them...it doesn't need to be changed. OK...gotta run...time to take my PROZAC ;-)
And the plugs will last 100000 miles :drunk:

Sabot

·
Registered
168 Posts
Subdriver said:
I personally think the getting the car up is half the work
Funny you say that, I just proved to my buddy that it takes longer to get the car up in the air on 4 jackstands than it does to change the oil! :lol:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
JETBLU said:
And they only need it to last 36k miles before it is your problem.

A normal car driven normally may have a good tranny and diff fluid last for life. But, most of us don't drive "normally" and given the layout of the exhaust and the very limited air flow over the tranny and diff, they get very hot. I got 277 on my diff in 15 minutes on the track in my first DE (now have a cooler). What worse is the diff only has two quarts in it vice four, so less cooling and it has less airflow. Who knows how hot it gets. No temp probe.

Take a look at the graph on the bottom of this link. Even synthetics start to breakdown at those temps.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts