Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bunch of us just got back from Spring Mountain Motorsports and I can tell you it's an absolute blast and well worth the money. All of us agreed we would do it again and may very well return for a repeat of Level 1 or bump up to 2. I was starting to feel downright comfortable with running the track and learned heel-toe and braking techniques. Their fleet now has 3 C6s and I drove one at the beginning and at the end of the class.

My impresssion and that of all the students is that the C6 is close to the Z06 but not quite there. I guess I would just say it's softer...both in braking and turn in. I kept getting a lot more ABS action and more understeer when going hard into corners. A more experienced driver in the C6 could stay with a novice Z06 driver but put an experienced driver in both and the Z06 would slowly pull away. The instructors said the C6 is about 1.5-2 seconds slower on their 2.2 mile course. However, they said the C6 is 15 mph faster on the straight at the end so it must gain some ground to even be that close. I guess the aerodynamics come into play on the straights.

The seat was much firmer but sure didn't hold me down much better. Also, I seemed to bump my helmet a lot more in the C6, which suprised me because I thought the Z06 is confining. Shifting was smoother. Also, the C6 cinch feature holds the entire belt in place, not just the lap belt. That was nice. Bottom line...everyone seemed to enjoy both cars but thought the Z06 definitely made a better track car.

Deleted C6 Z06 references.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
TAC said:
Seems like the new Z06 has been out there for testing. The guys said it runs about 5 seconds faster around the course than the Z06! :thumb: .
That's twice I've heard that from two different sources on this board. Sounds like it's becoming more believable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The guys said it runs about 5 seconds faster around the course than the Z06!
5 seconds!!! That is a HUGE HUGE HUGE amount of time on a 2.2 mi course... If that is comparing both cars on street tires, that is really impressive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was out there a few weeks ago and can report the same experiances. They were saying a 5 sec difference back then also. The C6Z06 sounds great at WOT! They asked me to keep it to myself. Its sounds like its out in the open now. :) The C6s are faster down the back straight than the C5Z06 but I'm not sure if its the torque curve of the 6.0 or the different gearing. Probably a combination of the two.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
KenI said:
I was out there a few weeks ago and can report the same experiances. They were saying a 5 sec difference back then also. The C6Z06 sounds great at WOT! They asked me to keep it to myself. Its sounds like its out in the open now. :) The C6s are faster down the back straight than the C5Z06 but I'm not sure if its the torque curve of the 6.0 or the different gearing. Probably a combination of the two.

Shhhhhhhhh I didn't hear a thing. :sneaky:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys...I didn't even think about secrecy type stuff. I sure don't want to get SM in dutch with Chevrolet so if the others that quoted me could delete their quotes I would appreciate it. After what GM did to the last person that put out news on the Z06 I don't want to unleash them on SM. They didn't say keep it quiet and I didn't even think about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Don't worry. They'll never look in here. :rofl:
Also, don't worry anyone who knows anything about road racing will tell you 5 seconds a lap faster in a 2mile race corse is :bs: on street tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was there last week and the C6 pulls real strong in 4th gear on that back straight-has more torque at lower rpms than the Z.The Z's steering was more tighter than the C6,and the C6's rearend would get loose quicker than the Z.I'm glad I have a Z,they sounded awesome going around the track reving at 5000-6000 rpms compared to the C6's exhaust that was much quieter.One of the instructors who drove the C6 Z06 compared the brakes on our C5 Z06 to like driving a chevette compared to the new Z.It has a 6-piston front caliper w/ individual pads for each piston and a 4-piston caliper in the rear.All in all I'll keep my Z and can always add a magnacharger and larger Baer brakes down the line to add torque and brake efficiency,if I can't afford the new Z. Ed

·
Registered
579 Posts
TAC, Can you tell us more about how the course is setup - how much it was, how many days, what was the format, how much actualy driving time.. etc..

The reason I ask is that I went to a 2-day skip barber course and was dissapointed ot only spend like 15minutes in the viper after waiting weeks to join up! With my z06 in the garage now I could really benefit from some track time, but I'd have ot weigh that against the plane ticket/hotel, etc.. I live in NY.

I saw a special on TV about spring valley recently on FINE channel (Satellite). It looked pretty sweet. Did you drive the little cars with the motorcycle engines too? Got pics?! Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Subw00er said:
TAC, Can you tell us more about how the course is setup - how much it was, how many days, what was the format, how much actualy driving time.. etc..

The reason I ask is that I went to a 2-day skip barber course and was dissapointed ot only spend like 15minutes in the viper after waiting weeks to join up! With my z06 in the garage now I could really benefit from some track time, but I'd have ot weigh that against the plane ticket/hotel, etc.. I live in NY.

I saw a special on TV about spring valley recently on FINE channel (Satellite). It looked pretty sweet. Did you drive the little cars with the motorcycle engines too? Got pics?! Thanks.
Take a look here...
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

They give you lots of seat time in the Vettes. The Radical School is a different class.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Subw00er said:

You can go to their website and see a layout of the track (see link over <- there).
I can't speak for the level 1 class (never took it at BS/SM) - but the level 2 class is LOTS of track time in Z06s or C6s.
The little cars w/bike engines are the Radicals. There is a separate school for them.
Pics here: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70701&highlight=Spring+Mountain

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subw00er said:

You can see the course setup from the posted map. The level 1 class is 3 days and has a max of 10 people, I think. They leave a couple cars in reserve in case of breakdown. Cost is $2,345. The course is taught mostly by 2 instructors with help from several others. They claim you do 300 miles over the course of the class and I believe that claim.

First day is some class time and then you drive the course slowly following the leader. You have a radio in each car and they talk you through the track. They instructors may lead you and then they may follow you. At times they will ride with you. After you drive around for a fair piece you spend time in a skid car learning how to look out the side windows to see where you're going. They load and unload the tires to induce oversteer and understeer. That really helps you learn to handle what will happen on the course in a safe manner. It really helped bring home how to steer out of understeer which feels counter intuitive. You also spend some time simply driving an oval to again get you looking ahead of the car. You also go out with the instructor driving to get a feel for the line. That's the first day.

Day two gets into shifting technique using heel toe. It's tough but learnable. You'll then start driving the track again with an instructor following you. You go out in packs of 4 or so and rotate the lead with the instructor as #2. You usually do 30 min or so road sessions followed with classroom instruction on the various turns. You end the day with sessions on your own but not going full out. You're trying to learn the line.

Day three you go back out and practice shifting and braking to help technique. Then you go right into open laps and it's the first time you use helmets. You can have an instructor go with you if you want. The course manager will be out there at some turns egging you on to hitting your apex. He stands right at the cones. The instructors will then ride with you again to help critique your driving. They end the day with hot laps in the instructors' cars in formation to show you how it's done. That's pretty darn cool. They couldn't get us into the Radicals but I really didn't mind. I wanted to see how it's done in the Z06.

I will try to go there again someday. I'm still not decided whether to repeat #1 or go to #2. You probably get more lap time in #2 but don't know for sure. If you don't have good heel toe technique and are more on the beginner side I definitely recommend Level 1 first. If you're more experienced and just want the track time go for #2. I have some pics and may post them later but they really don't show much of the track...you're too busy and you don't have time to run back and forth to your car to get the camera.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Subw00er said:

At Spring Mountain, it's all about seat time. Once some basics are established, the classroom is the drivers seat. Each car has a two way radio, so you get input from the intructors when needed. You will learn more about the ZO6 (or C6 Z51) in three days there than in a year on the street. A definite must for any ZO6 owner! :z:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Spring Mountain DVD

Spring Mtn is a very kool track, a friend of mine built it and I shot it during the Open Track Challenge along with Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Streets of Willow, Willow Springs, Button Willow and Thunderhill. It was shot with broadcast DVC-Pro from two car mounts on my ZO6 and from a number of fixed positions. It's rock & roll music, exhaust & a few interviews with drivers that include the late Paul Mumsford a great Viper driver and Rupert who owned Spring Mt. Rupert driving a 01 Zo6 goes cross country and off track to pass a F-40. If you want to see the West coast playground this shows off some of the best in the West and 86 fine drivers. For my money Rupert was the BEST driver for sure, I help pit his ZO6 a few days and can say he was the best driver of the bunch. I had the privilege to warm up all the drivers on track and then jump to a corner or two to cover the hot laps. I took dozens of driver supplied in car videos and dropped them into the finished program. Some great POV video of off track experiences.Twin turbo C5s, F-4o Ferrari and a lot of Zo6s, BMWs and Mustangs. No story line just a bunch of drivers, some great tracks, lots of track video, some interviews by my daughter from ABC News, shes a looker and some wild off road shots. If you would like a DVD-R copy contact me off line at, [email protected]. I would be glad to share the fun times with fellow members. Now to make you all feel bad, I had the track to my self with one other member, Lonnie for a few hours, eat you hearts out!

·
Registered
71 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Outstanding pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks,

My wife took most of those. Since there is nothing to do in Pahrump the guys were nice enough to let her ride with me from time to time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Looks like an absolute great time. I think I could drive down there in a loooonnng day. I noticed there is a "corvette day" in May on one of the other threads...anybody know if there are hosted days very often???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts