Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics that show the upcoming STS Twin Turbo for the C5. I'll be posting more info as I receive it.

This looks like it will be fun! :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Interesting, this might be a dumb question but is there a lot of loss of boost pushing air all the way from the back of the car?

Chris

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
STS makes some very interesting kits. Look foward to hearing about the C5 results.

Good luck Tom

JB

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice pics.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Now that is interesting. Any chance this is a "cooler" turbo system because the exhaust gasses come from further down the pipe? Will be real interesting to hear how this system sorts out performance wise.

Tom, thanks for posting :thumb:

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
Chris310P said:
Interesting, this might be a dumb question but is there a lot of loss of boost pushing air all the way from the back of the car?

Chris
There's no need for an intercooler so the pressure drop is about the same as a standard turbo set-up. Maybe even less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
These STS systems have worked very well in the F-body cars. I cannot imagine why the concept would not translate to the C5.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run an STS single turbo and have had it in the car since July 2004. It has been totally troublefree and makes almost 400 RWHP and over 400lbs. RWT all at 5 PSI. You can do Alky injection for up to 10 Lbs boost and another 100 HP. All in all probably one of the best aftermarket systems which requires no modifications to the basic car.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is so backwards from everything I have ever seen on turbo sytems. Where the heck do the pipes run ?, pressure drop and lag have to be incredible with 20' of pipe, heck you can't spin a T3 on a 4cyl through a big IC without a major increase in lag. But what the heck ,"The earth was once flat"

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Lag is primarily a function of turbo spool-up. Smaller turbos have less lag because they have less inertia. The pressure changes in the exhaust and intake propogate through the plenums at the same speed any pressure wave would propogate, roughly the speed of sound for that particular air density. Figure roughly 600-700MPH. At 880 FPS (600MPH), that extra 20 ft of pipe amounts to 2ms of delay and makes a "gnat's ass" difference.

The problems I see with this setup are threefold.

First, The extra pipe is going to be quite a bit more "lossy" from an induced drag perspective. But some extra boost at the turbo would overcome most/all of that.

Second, having the blowers at the back of the car means they see cooler, slower exhaust. Since turbos convert waste heat and gas velocity to mechanical energy, they'll operate less efficiently back there (though on the positive side, they'll run cooler and as a result last longer). Again, adjustments to the impeller design would probably be able to compensate.

Third, I question how well the turbos will last in that exposed location. Unless the car is a fair-weather driver, the blowers are going to see a lot of water coming off the back tires. I could imagine a toasty-hot turbo getting an icy blast from some "casual water" as you hammer down the street. Taking hot metal and dumping it in cold water isn't necessarily the best thing. This might not be very good, long term, for turbo longevity.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
My neighbor has a STS Turbo on his LT1 powered (all forged 383) F Body. The car sounds funky with the Turbo noise coming from the back and it looks a little strange also. That Baby sure does fly though. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Turbo lag in my car is a non issue as it is a 6M,in an automatic you would probably want a higher stall converter.
The 5 PSI of boost is all in at 3K RPM and this makes it pretty responsive. As to the turbo's location, yes it is where the muffler used to be,and unless youre in a hell of a lot of water it is not a problem. As I've mentioned before my installation was done in July of 04 and the car has seen 20K miles since the install with absolutely no Problems.
There was a 04 GTO at the SEMA show in Vegas last year with an STS Intercooled set-up and that car now runs low 10's. Arguably it is not as efficient as an underhood set-up, but if you don't want to butcher your car its the only way to fly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts