Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is now the second time I have had this issue, when a passenger is in the seat the "air bag on" light does not want to activate unless the passenger moves around and sit in a position that is totally not how you would sit in the seat. I had this problem several years ago and had OnStar run a diagnostic and all they came up with was b000 and b0113.
Took it to the dealer and the tech found b0113 code and ordered a seat belt anchor pretensioner. Now I look at my old RO's and notice that the pre tensioner that was replaced according to the RO was the drivers side. That did fix the problem but that was back in 2017. Other than the light on the mirror showing "OFF" there are no codes flashing on the DIC and lights on the dashboard anywhere. I would like to get this fixed for good but I don't own a OBDII scan tool. Has anyone else had this repeated problem?
I do however have a scan program installed on my laptop that I used when I installed a emailed tune. So I can connect to the OBDII port but not sure what I am looking for.
Any help wit this would be great otherwise it's a trip back to the dealer soon. The wife doesn't like riding in the car with no air bag functioning properly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should be more specific I don't have an OBDII scanner. I do have two software programs installed on my laptop EASE X3 personal diagnostics and OBDwiz both from when I did my remote tune. I also have the ability to plug into the OBDII port and connect to my laptop So I my not be able to do this without some more investment in a scanner.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,807 Posts
Your Ease on your laptop is a full GM enhanced OBD-II scanner

You also should have then the Ease hardware interface that plugs into the diag port under dash and then to the laptop
Via Ease connect to the airbag controller and from that you can watch the airbag parameters and any of the error codes
You could move the seat belts around or other functions you see on that screen and see what the results are.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will plug it in over the weekend and see if I can get any data. Looks like under the air bag heading there are a few parameters that can be looked at one happens to be drivers seat belt latch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent most of the weekend resolving problems with the Bluetooth OBD link I use to scan the car. After contacting the maker and doing a factory reset finally got this scan device to connect to my laptop.
In the Airbag SDM module of the EASE program you can watch as you latch either the drivers side or passenger side seat belts. Both show connected. Even when the airbag light in the rear view mirror shows off, and someone is sitting in the passenger seat, the scan tool shows "passenger seat belt switch Latched". I have checked for DTC's and none are present
I did find online a Corvette service bulletin #15643A that deals with passenger side airbags, however that bulletin states that DTC codes, any one of which are B0029,30,40,41,45,57,58,59,64,65 & 66 must be present. I have none. I did notice when moving the passenger seat all the way forward to look at the wiring the what appears to be one of the connectors to the seat was deeply embedded in the carpeting. I have since moved that. I seem to be running into a dead end. I hate to take it to the dealer, they are just going to throw parts at it give a bill for $$$$ and tell me it's fixed. The logic of this points to a wiring issue/sensor in the seat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got to the bottom of this ordeal. The dealer didn't do the right fix on the car back in 2016. Got my tuner to help me pull the DTC's found 34 codes all related to the airbag module. So now it's a trip to the dealer to get it fixed properly for the last time. My tuner charged me $40.00 well worth the money, now I know what needs to be fixed. Sad thing is there never was any code or warning light in the DIC.
It may have taken me several hours to track this down, but glad I was able to do so, and with a lot of help from those of you in the Corvette community. Just goes to show that even if you have zero training in automotive repair you can do this yourself.
The repair by the way is covered under the GM bulletin for up to 10 years or 120,000 mile from date of original purchase.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the car into the dealer to have the GM service bulletin performed. After a chat with their Corvette tech he felt that as long as the car was there he was going to do the drivers side too. I told them to do it, however the down side to all of this is that the seats will no longer be quick disconnect due to the fact that the wires under the seat that connect the air bag system are now soldered together so they can't pull apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts