Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm approaching the end of my tires' tread life and will be buying new ones in a month or two. I'm currently running Generals and they are working, but I think there's better options. I know R compounds are the way to go for SS, but I don't have a trailer or anyone to follow me to the events with the extra tires so I'm sticking with street tires for now. Has anyone tried out the Goodyear Gen 2's or the PS2's? I'm driving a C6 Z06 rather than a C5, so options are more limited.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just changed from the original OEM Goodyears to PS2s and I love them. I have autoXed twice and the PS2s are a lot stickier than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PatrickSR, were you running the Gen1 or Gen2 Goodyears and did you switch to or from run-flats?

Z06phile, I thought SS rules required that you use the stock tire size (325 in the rear), or are you allowed to use a different tire on the same wheel?

·
Z06 Master
2,626 Posts
PatrickSR, were you running the Gen1 or Gen2 Goodyears and did you switch to or from run-flats?

Z06phile, I thought SS rules required that you use the stock tire size (325 in the rear), or are you allowed to use a different tire on the same wheel?

You can run whatever size will fit on the car. I experimented with oversized tires on my S2000 and went as big as a 255 street tire on a 7" front wheel. There was some pinch, but there was still 3/4" more contact patch vs the stock 215 size. Tried them back to back at an event and was .8 faster on a 35 sec course.
The local fast guys always put the biggest tire that'll fit and it's always faster even though technically it shouldn't be. This goes for both Hoosiers and cheater street tires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm approaching the end of my tires' tread life and will be buying new ones in a month or two. I'm currently running Generals and they are working, but I think there's better options. I know R compounds are the way to go for SS, but I don't have a trailer or anyone to follow me to the events with the extra tires so I'm sticking with street tires for now. Has anyone tried out the Goodyear Gen 2's or the PS2's? I'm driving a C6 Z06 rather than a C5, so options are more limited.
I switched from Goodyear F1 Gen 1 runflats at 11,000 miles on my 08 C6Z to Mich PS2 runflats, and with 8000 miles (fairly aggressive) on the PS2s, they still outshine the Goodyears by a large margin for stick, and they are a nicer ride to boot with much improved rain traction. However, you still can't beat an R-compound for autocross. I have not autox'd the C6Z yet, after just over a year of ownership, but had totally modded the suspension on a 94Z28 with R compound tires and it made all the difference to get well over 1 G of cornering on that relatively-heavy antique-suspension-geometry car.

Personally, after I recover from some major surgery, I am going with the new Mich Pilot Sport Cups on the new GM factory Sport Cup 10-spoke ZR1 hi-po wheels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The hierarchy of autocross tires has Hoosier at the top, then Kumho 710, then a range
of rain-capable comp tires, like the Yokohama A048. Then there are a number of
'extreme summer' tires, like the Kumho XS, Yokohama AD08 etc. The best of these
for the moment seem to be the Hankook Ventus RS-3. Then come the non-competition
but basically competent street tires like PS2s etc.
I am new to Vettes but a long-time rabid autocrosser. At the moment, I will be racing
Hoosiers and getting Kumho XS for the street, based on the bigger sizes it offers, but
I'd also consider the Hankooks if I end up disliking the XSes...
I'm in NorCal, so it's never too cold, and it rains rarely, and I've driven 710s for up to
80 miles each way to/from autocrosses...
HTH,
Joe Weinstein

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input Joe. Most of those tire makes are not available for the stock sizes of a C6 Z06 (unless I'm terrible at finding tires...). I've heard a lot of people talk up the Kumho's for various classes. I'll probably give them a try if I ever end up with a dedicated autox vehicle.

To update this thread, I purchased a set of Michelin PS2's run flats a few weeks ago and put them to use at the final event in the Atlanta region. These tires replaced a set of General UHP non-run flats. Overall, the difference was very good. I could launch a full 1k RPM higher and the car was more confident through corners. The greatest difference I noticed was under braking. The Generals kind of let go after their initial bite. The Michelins held grip all the way through the braking zone. I can't offer a comparison to the GY Gen 2's, but you won't go wrong with these.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Best of luck with your PS2's. Purchased my last set of Michelin tires EVER.

Have used Michelin on most of my cars and SUV's the last 20 years. Replaced the oem tires on my C6Z with the PS2's (not run flats) a year or two ago. With about 2000 miles on them, one of the tires developed a huge bubble on it. No accidents of anything like that and always maintained proper tire pressure. Took it in to NTB (where I purchased the tires) and they said no sweat. They contacted the Michelin regional director to verify a credit for the replacement. The Michelin guy said "tough"....that's not our problem.

Hope you have better luck than I had.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes. you are right that the stock sizes aren't widely available, so you have to
accept close or bigger. For the Kumho XS I will run a 295/35R17 front and
315/30R18 in the back on stock C5 Z06 wheels. Other options might be:

Toyo Proxes R888
275/40-17
315/30-18

Nitto NT555RII
P275/40ZR17
305/35ZR18

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Best of luck with your PS2's. Purchased my last set of Michelin tires EVER.

Have used Michelin on most of my cars and SUV's the last 20 years. Replaced the oem tires on my C6Z with the PS2's (not run flats) a year or two ago. With about 2000 miles on them, one of the tires developed a huge bubble on it. No accidents of anything like that and always maintained proper tire pressure. Took it in to NTB (where I purchased the tires) and they said no sweat. They contacted the Michelin regional director to verify a credit for the replacement. The Michelin guy said "tough"....that's not our problem.

Hope you have better luck than I had.

Mike
I have the Goodyear gen 2s and I dont like them, they dont get good traction unless the road surface and tire are over 75 degrees. I have been wishing I bought the PS2s until I read this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes. you are right that the stock sizes aren't widely available, so you have to
accept close or bigger. For the Kumho XS I will run a 295/35R17 front and
315/30R18 in the back on stock C5 Z06 wheels. Other options might be:

Toyo Proxes R888
275/40-17
315/30-18

Nitto NT555RII
P275/40ZR17
305/35ZR18
I used Nitto NT555R2s, Victoracers, & Advans on my modified Z28. I would agree Hoosiers are best for C6Z on track, but very limited for use to and from their.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts