Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SSR GT3 Wheels?? Updated with pics

I am currently thinking about getting a set of SSR GT3 Wheels for the Z. They would be mounted on Pirelli Rosso 265/35/18 and 305/30/19 tires. I just wanted to see if these wheels are quality made. I was also considering going with the CCW 505A's but at the price I would be getting the GT3's for, its a steal. I also like the satin center and polished lip of the GT3. However, I am also debating what traction will be like with a 19" rear tire. If I stayed with an 18" rear wheel, then I can mount them on much stickier tires. I also wonder if I will feel the difference in the unsprung weight. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

-Russ

Here are some pics that were taken today at the Hooters meet. Just wanted to finally get some pics up for people to see these rims. I do think that they look better in person, and also have some better pics that I will upload later on.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=748717

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
At some point i entertained the thought of getting GT3s for my car. I have changed my wheels twice in the past year and it looks like i am in in for a change soon. The GT3s are nice, but are a little expensive. For that money you can get Iforged wheels which look better and can be made in 12 inch wide sizes.

Sticking with 18s is good for three reasons:
1- more traction
2- much cheaper(once you factor in that the wheels, tires, and tread will all cost you money in 19s)
3- no problems with weight

However after my experiences i can assure you that an 18 inch wheel is small for any aftermarket wheel!

·
Registered
83 Posts
SSR makes a very good wheel. The best deal I found on 18x9.5 and 18x11 was around $2600 shipped. This was for a Supra, but should be the same for a Vette. They weigh about 25lbs each. For about the same price you can get the one peice CCW's in 19". It is lighter (20lbs I think) and at least as strong.

If you can get the GT3 for much less, you would be getting a fantastic deal.

Kirk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anybody seen the new SSR GT10? Those look SWEET! Not that there's anything wrong with the GT3... :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses guys. I have looked into iforged and ccw and have decided not to pass up the deal I have gotten. I just wanted to make sure that SSR was not some poor quality brand. I am also going with the 275/35 in front instead of the 265/35. I would have loved to get the iforged or ccw's as I think both look great (especially black iforged's with a polished lip) however, both setups mounted to the Pirelli tires are over $4k shipped and I am getting the SSR GT3's with tires mounted, balanced, and a locking lug set for under $3k shipped. Once again, thank you for the responses and I look forward to getting these mounted, and I will post pictures once I do.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I have a friend thats looking to spend 3 grand on wheel tire setup. Can you post a link to the photos of these wheels...?

I'd appreciate any information you could share.

Thanks..

JB

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good Choice.
The wheels are more beautiful up close and personal..pics don't do them justice.
Mine are the satin finish.

You'll love 'em!

Good luck.. :cheers:

Pedro

MPRTKLR said:
I am currently thinking about getting a set of SSR GT3 Wheels for the Z. They would be mounted on Pirelli Rosso 265/35/18 and 305/30/19 tires. I just wanted to see if these wheels are quality made. I was also considering going with the CCW 505A's but at the price I would be getting the GT3's for, its a steal. I also like the satin center and polished lip of the GT3. However, I am also debating what traction will be like with a 19" rear tire. If I stayed with an 18" rear wheel, then I can mount them on much stickier tires. I also wonder if I will feel the difference in the unsprung weight. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

-Russ

·
Registered
881 Posts
Those GT3s are really beautiful. However, on Tire Rack's website I only see 18/19" sizes listed and the weight is almost +5 lbs per wheel compared to our stock rims. Does anybody know if these are available in 17/18" sizes to fit our cars?

I am also considering the SSR Comp H in 17/18" as they are actually -3 lbs per wheel compared to our stock rims. My tire guy can get me a great deal and send them out to have the spokes power coated black prior to mounting. I think they will look pretty good and I will be losing 12 lbs of unsprung and rotating mass.

Boy, those GT3s are cool though! Also, I have only heard great things about SSR except that they are a bit pricey. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Pedro..! Wow! Thanks for the photos of your stunning vert..

What tires are you running...what sizes and who did you order from!

The car is stunning! Pedro...how do you like the handling etc...and is the active handling or ABS effected in anyway..

Thanks

JB

·
Banned
809 Posts
The SSR GT3's in Satin are gorgeous! Do you have any other photos that you can share?

I also love the OZ Superleggera III on the Corvette. I don't have a photo of them on a Corvette, but here's a photo with the OZ's on a Mustang.

Sal

·
Registered
47 Posts
salvador said:
The SSR GT3's in Satin are gorgeous! Do you have any other photos that you can share?

Sal
Guys,

Thank you for the kind words.

I ordered the wheels and tires from Tirerack.
The wheels were $2516.00.
The tires are the BF Goodrich G-Force TA KDW-2s
Front--265/35/18
Rear --295/35/19
The fronts were $207.00/each...they're on sale at Tirerack right now for $193.00
The rears were $285.00/each.

I spoke with Damon at TR.
He's at extension 643. Great guy very helpful.
Tell him hi for me if you go with the wheels.
I love the wheels and get compliments and questions about them all the time.
I've yet to see another C5 with them on.

There have been no issues with the AH.
The car feels great...a marked improvement over my previous tires.
I had the Yokohama runflats on stock Y2K polished wheels

Best of luck to you.
If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Edit:
More pics here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/26122

Regards,
Pedro

·
Registered
83 Posts
MPRTKLR said:
thanks for the responses guys. I have looked into iforged and ccw and have decided not to pass up the deal I have gotten. I just wanted to make sure that SSR was not some poor quality brand. I am also going with the 275/35 in front instead of the 265/35. I would have loved to get the iforged or ccw's as I think both look great (especially black iforged's with a polished lip) however, both setups mounted to the Pirelli tires are over $4k shipped and I am getting the SSR GT3's with tires mounted, balanced, and a locking lug set for under $3k shipped. Once again, thank you for the responses and I look forward to getting these mounted, and I will post pictures once I do.
$3K with tires :jawdrop: Please let us know if this is available to other Z06'ers. Also, can this person get other SSR styles for similar price?

thanks,
Kirk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know there are a few people interested in where I got this package for under $3k. I am expected to get these in next thursday according to UPS. Once I receive them and inspect them, I will post up the info. Since the price seems alsmost "too good to be true" I will not post the info until I see them for myself. This way if I get burned, noone else will make the same mistake. Hopefully all works out and I am very excited to get these wheels. Pedro, they look GREAT on your car and is the reason why I got them!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Tripleblack51 said:
Good Choice.
The wheels are more beautiful up close and personal..pics don't do them justice.
Mine are the satin finish.

You'll love 'em!

Good luck.. :cheers:

Pedro

That satin finish is sweet..

·
Registered
47 Posts
MPRTKLR said:
Pedro, they look GREAT on your car and is the reason why I got them!
Thank you and best of luck...
Keep us posted.
Please post some pics when you get them on.
I know that you will love the wheels even more once you see them up close and personal.

They are an awesome mod.

Regards :cheers:

Pedro

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
see first post for pics

·
Registered
47 Posts
MPRTKLR said:
see first post for pics
Congrats! :cheers:

Even though I may be a little biased towards black C5s :D, they look great on your "Z"!

Wheels make your car look great even when it is standing still.

Enjoy...

Best regards,

Pedro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts