Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I would think it should be quicker. However I have some questions. Where is the track and was a pro driver at the wheel ? Nice car. I want one M7.
It said Royal Purple Raceway, where ever that is. Doubt a pro driver as I can't believe that they let him run down the quarter mile WITHOUT A HELMET ON. Even private track rentals or test and tunes require a helmet....?????

·
9,755 Posts
Baytown, TX

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Was definitely a stick judging from the 1st to 2nd shift.

I would say it's the guys first pass in the car and it's gonna take some getting used to before he can max out it's potential.

Anyone reading very much about that car's drag strip capability based on only one pass hasn't spent much time at the strip. Times and trap speeds can vary mightily from one pass to another.

I agree with Tom about the helmet. That's just dumb. :fpalm:

btw, a racetrack can lose their NHRA certification for allowing drivers to break NHRA rules. An 11 second pass without a helmet would certainly fit that category.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
that is also houston raceway park(royal purple bought them out) you get a warning the first time. after that they kick you off and out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What do I think? I think it's pretty lame, I think 11.77 outta a 650hp FI $100,000 borderline "supercar" is laughable, I think that I hope this is just an anomaly....I also think it's rather amusing that my 13 years older 2 generations removed 1/4 the price and with a proper MANUAL tranny C5Z is actually capable of returning close to the same time/ET (I'm sure we are all well aware of the high 11 second stock times trapping 115-118) - and lastly I think I'm happy I have my "old" C5Z lol

I want to love this new C7Z, but while the C5Z took the Vette/Chevy brand to whole new performance threshold at the strip and the track, and the C6Z flipped the supercar world on its head and demanded everyone take full notice, so far this C7Z just seems like a let down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:fpalm: :fpalm:

See my previous post on this thread.....

Mike
Oh I know it's capable of much more- you can read that as a knock on the owner/driver as much as the car.

But I stand by my statement that this new C7Z is not what it was cracked up to be, it doesn't change the game for the Vette brand like the C5Z did and it hasn't shook the entire automotive world up like the C6Z did (not even going to mention the ZR1). If they make the mid engined zora? Well then we may have something.

Let's be honest- in general there's more hoopla over the hellcat than the C7Z (regardless of performance credentials- and the hellcat is helluvalot cheaper) and the older designed/engineered Viper is as fast or faster already...straight line and track setting. Fact. Like I said- I WANT to love this C7Z, but if i were spending the $$$ I'd probably just get a stingray w/ Z51

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
The C7Z will just keep getting faster as more people get theirs and start doing bolt-ons and getting more runs at different tracks around the country.
I'd be willing to bet that by the time the Holley LSFest rolls around in September, there will be some C7Z's there with basic bolt-ons and the right tires running consistent low 10's to high 9's. Anyone who thinks these cars are slow doesn't have a clue! :fpalm:

Jimbo

·
9,755 Posts
Jan. issue of Car & Driver posted up 0-60 in 3.0 sec; 1/4 mile in 11.1 @127mph; 70-0 braking in < 130 feet; and 1.19 g on the skidpad. Not too shabby I'd say.

Like Jim said - it's only going to get faster as people start slapping on DRs and the like.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Here are a couple of video links to some more passes Jason made a week after the vid of his 10.9 pass at Orlando Speed World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuk50R76Yc&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-2vpmT5tjg&feature=player_embedded

Keep in mind that this car has barely 500 miles on it and that OSW is not a very good track! (prep is marginal at best, and this is from personal experience as I have run my car there and am embarrased about how crappy my passes were)!
As I stated in my previous post in this thread, these cars will just keep getting faster as time goes by and the owners get their cars sorted out and learn how to drive them better! All the haters over on CF need to STFU!

Jimbo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts