Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened to see in GM Owners Manual that M6 should be started with shifter in Neutral. I usually start when it's in Reverse since that's how i park it. Just wondering if there's any reason for N starts??

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'm sure it's nothing mechanical. It must has something to do with Safety or Liability. It also said that you should have the emergency brake on. :cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT L GO said:
I'm sure it's nothing mechanical. It must has something to do with Safety or Liability. It also said that you should have the emergency brake on. :cheers:

Makes sense!

·
Registered
878 Posts
be wide-awake and sober, shoes on and ready to rumble:cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is no 'real' reason. Think about it, you have to have the clutch in anyway. Flywheel is disconnected from the tranny, you can be in any gear and it wouldn't make a diff.

Dope

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
IT L GO said:
It must has something to do with Safety or Liability.

Exactly, because some people would forget to engage the clutch. If you don't spell it out exactly, then some idiot can take GM to court, if they started it in gear (without the clutch engaged), and then hit something because the car moved.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't believe the car will start unless the clutch is fully engaged no matter what position the shifter is in. When the clutch is engaged it is effectively in a "neutral" state.

I park it in 1st but any gear would be the same. I always apply the parking brake when my car is parked, takes the load off of the tranny. So, when I get in to start after fastening my seatbelt, I simply engage the clutch, turn the key and then release the parking brake when I am ready to move.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
For two and half years I parked it in gear and with the parking brake, But I dont know what I was thinking because my garage is flat, why put all that use on the parking brake and tranny, So I just started to leave in Hanging Free :cheers: no parking brake , no gear, I leave a wheel chocke just in case she wants to run away on her own :lol: :lol:

but I cranck her up on any gear :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
mgarfias said:
safety issue, what happens if the clutch fails while its starting? Its just a good habit to get into.
:yeadog: :yeadog:

It would be difficult for you not to know, Only if you were not the last one to drive it, But any way I AGREE , you can never be too cautious :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
:yeadog: :yeadog:

It would be difficult for you not to know, Only if you were not the last one to drive it, But any way I AGREE , you can never be too cautious :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:
Well, you could have a clutch line fail, and lose all the fluid in the clutch system over night. When you get in the car in the morning to crank, the clutch pedal goes to the floor and activates the switch which allows the engine to crank, but the clutch doesn't actually disengage...

Sorry, just had to show a situation where you might not know the clutch failed, and cranking in neutral would keep you safe.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's pretty much a blanket advisory for all manual transmissions, not just the MN6. There are a number of ways problems can occur, depending on the car/transmission involved.

That's why there's a clutch safety switch. Even so, things still happen. That's not the way to find out your safety switch is sticking or out of adjustment. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts