Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 03 quicksilver "Z" w/ 18,000 miles in Oct. 04 and have only driven about 1/2 a dozen times and what a beautiful "machine" but my question to you fella's is: I read alot about a problem with steering column lock up. After speaking with the previous owner he never mentioned about having any work done to the steering mech. To avoid a potential problem could somebody let me know what this is about. Sorry to sound uninformed but I'm not looking to get stuck. Is there something I can do or check to see if my Z is "one of the potential ones"?
Even though I have the Z for only 4 months I have performed several minor mods that without you guys I never would have attempted. First, installed a Vararam on a cold 25 degree day in my driveway. After donating a pint of blood with all the sharp plastic under the shroud I finished. Next mod this past weekend was GHL bullets 3.5". Nice sound ...I love em
My next mod (and I need advice) will be to have headers installed. It will either be LG or Supermax (with cats). My question is 2 fold. should I have them sent to "swaintech" for coating and will the headers make the exhaust MUCH louder. While a little sound is good, too much (for every day... no track although maybe someday) would be a problem. My concerns are 1. must pass emissions and 2. still want to carry on a conversation while driving.
Appreciate the responses....this is comming from a guy who is almost 50 and has found a new hobby instead of golf. This site is a great way to pass a New York winter and beyound.
My goal is 400 at the rear and understand a mild cam might be in order. Plan on a tune and dyno after headers. Again need to hear from you guys. Thanks
demo

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Demo, Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im by far an expert, that said...

The steering column lock problem wont allow the steering column lock to release leaving you stranded somewhere like a gas station etc.
All it involves is a reprogram of you computer, if you dont have any computer changes such as LS-1 edit then I dont see the problem getting it done. If you do have such a program, and they redo your comp, you go back to factory settings.
I had my car into the dealer for minor warranty issues and they asked me if I wanted it done or not, Knowing the car is stock, I had it done.

As far as the headers go..............im no help.

*edit* too slow :lol:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
With respect to your headers. LG's are the best, next is KooKs and then Supermaxx. All three are good choices and no matter which one you choose you will be happy with them. Swaintech IMO is a the best thermal coating out there, much better than Jet Hot. The area around your shifter will get warm so coating will definitely help. Another option is a coated tunnel plate which will also help keep the tunnel heat down like the coating does, but will not help in the engine bay. The tunnel plate will also stiffen your chassis. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts