Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Steering / tie rod ends that can take the heat?

Any recommendations? The rubber has dried / fried / cracked on mine. Is there a heavy duty part / fix anyone knows of?
:cheers:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've seen C5R's with reflective silver heat shield wrapped around them. I can't remember, but i think they held them on with safety wire.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. looks like no rush to necessarily replace. could just get new boot. still wondering how / what to use material wise / where to get for heat sheilding.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
99cobra said:
Any recommendations? The rubber has dried / fried / cracked on mine. Is there a heavy duty part / fix anyone knows of?
:cheers:
You can get new rubber boots at most auto parts stores for a few buck. Regrease them, put on the new boots and slip a piece of heat shield around it like this:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brad - thanks for the hint. And congrats on TWS! Questions:
1) What (i.e. how does one ask for it) is this "heat shield" material and where do you get it
2) Do you really put it on as shown before reinstalling the rod end to the spindle?
Subdriver said:
You can get new rubber boots at most auto parts stores for a few buck. Regrease them, put on the new boots and slip a piece of heat shield around it like this:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
1) It's called FireSleeve from Aeroquip. I get mine from a non forum vendor. PM or email me if you can't find it.
2) Yep, I slide it right over the new rubber bushing and then put the tie rod back on. I have this covering the a-arm ball joints as well. Same installation method. Split the joint, slide the sleeve over, remate the joint. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
speedpup said:
That's a great way to do it but you can wrap it like I said if you don't want to take it apart. I will have mine apart soon doing hubs and probably do it like Subdriver. I'll check the dealer by me tomorrow to see if he has it. Does it come in different sizes?
Comes in many different sizes. I find the 1.5" one works pretty well. I buy in as a couple of feet length and replace it every time I have the ball joints apart for some reason. If you need a source online, let me know. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
speedpup said:
Thanks Subdriver I got some today all they had was 18" which was 23.00. That will be plenty for a while. I'll put it on as every thing is coming apart soon.
My pleasure, glad you found some. That's what I do as well. Everytime I have the tie rod or ball joints apart for some reason I cut another inch off and slip it on there. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts