Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What mods will work with a 427 in the future. For instance, if I go with heads/cam package now will I have to toss them out later for the 427. I don't want to waste money on mods that will not be used in the future. Is there a way to gradually work up to a 427? thanks.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy now.. Sell that motor and just start over!

Chris

·
Registered
971 Posts
One Reply

"get the afr mongoose 202 heads"
Sorry Freddy, but Wrong. The 205 AFR's, not the, 'afr mongoose 202 heads," would one choice for an LS 346, but not for a 427.

Halltech Trap
Kooks 1 7/8 headers
High Flow cats
Beefy Clutch(SPEC, Cartek or Aussie)
MTI IIR, Cartek stage III heads, these can be worked more later for the 427. Or "Pro Heads," these, are now the hip thing.
90mm Fast intake
90mm TB, Nick Williams
Mez. Electric H2O Pump
Ron Davis Radiator

Cam can be a whole written work in itself.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The heads will have to be reindexed to the larger size bore.

1 7/8" headers are not optimum for 346 cu in displacement engine but are for a 427.

There are just some of the differences which must be accounted for so its hard to do an evolutionary build up. You are better off deciding on a displacement and then building to optimize it from the beginning

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jason31 said:
Is there a way to gradually work up to a 427? thanks.
The short answer is NO :cheers:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Having moved from H/C to my 430 cid. I would have to absolutely agree with DJWorm. Do it all at once, is far, far less expensive and time consuming.

As far as they header topic. This one will never end. You will get opinions of 1 1/2"-1 7/8" Primaries, Tri-Shorties, Tri Midlength and 32" longtubes...All the opinions will come from very, very experienced people.

I will cite an example...the main header builder for Nascar Race Cars believes in 1.5" primary tri-shorty/mid length on a 350 cid and says almost all street headers are way to big...go figure.

Another example. A 1 7/8" Kook recently made the same power/torque as 1 3/4" LG's on the same 346 motor, same dyno. go figure. Surprised me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts