Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a new member, having owned my Z06 for nearly a month. I really like this forum! It is so much more laid back (not to mention less pretentious) than some of the other boards. :roll:

Now, on to my question: What is conventional wisdom regarding an upgrade to the factory stereo? I am looking into replacing all of the speakers, adding a small sub-woofer in the well and a fairly compact multi-channel amp. Understand that I am in pursuit of improved sound quality, not quantity. I want to retain the stock head unit, as I prefer the low-key, integrated look it lends, verses a flashy Alpine or somesuch. This would seem to be the ideal time to add a power antenna, too.

So what's the verdict? The one stereo shop I've spoken to about this said it is no problem. Anyone here done it?

Would you guys be interested in a tech story on something like this? I would focus on keeping costs under, say $1000. I don't want to put too big a ding in my mod budget!! Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmmm.. I've been under the impression that it IS a "problem" to swap out the speakers (while keeping the head unit) in a C5, since the Bose system isn't very receptive to unplugging factory parts and installing aftermarket ones. It's not impossible, apparently -- just difficult.

From what I've heard, the wiring is such that you have to go all-or-nothing on the system, since the harnesses aren't set up to accept aftermarket wiring harnesses. Rumor has it you have to have everything taken out, and replaced anew.

Now, if this ISN'T true, then I'd like to know about how it can be done. I just haven't yet heard that it isn't true, unfortunately.

By all means, if you DO do it, let us know how!

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
cendres said:
Hi guys,
Would you guys be interested in a tech story on something like this? I would focus on keeping costs under, say $1000. I don't want to put too big a ding in my mod budget!! Thoughts?
Yes! Let us know what you find out. I am looking for the same thing as you, a stock look with much improved sound. I want to keep the factory head unit and ditch the speakers, but I want the new drivers to fit behind the factory grills and look stock. The amp would need to remain out of site.

Looking forward to your report!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I drive a 95 firebird (for one more week!) and have the delco version of the bose radio ten speaker setup. I looked all over at places to ditch my crappy tape deck and heard many of the exact same stories. Some times they would say no problem, other times, I would get the whole head unit and amped speaker story.
Well, one day I blew out a speaker - a little too much volume with the T-tops out. I didn't give it another thought and price checked two stores and put in a set of Pioneer component speakers to replace the components that came with it.
That was three and a half years ago. The stereo still works fine, just like nothing has changed. I didn't go high end with the speakers, so you can hardly tell a difference.
I have given it very little thought till now.

I don't know if they are exactly the same system, but they might be similar and this might help someone out.
Maybe call around to some high end audio shops as most Chevys have Bose in their high end cars.

chris

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd love to see a follow up on this issue.
I'd just as soon leave the factory in dash as is and go w/ speakers, amp and small sub if possible.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
One of my friends owns his own shop. In talking with him the other day we discussed the deficiencies of the factory radio. He told me that he had done 5 C5s recently. I will try to find out what you can and cannot do, and if you can reuse the harness (which I think he said you can), and post it here in the forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been there and done all that. I started with upgrading the speakers, then doing the head unit while still using the Bose amp. This was not very satisfying.

The problem lies with the entire setup. The Bose amp only had three channels. One runs the right door, one the left door and the other the dash speaker and both rear speakers! You can prove this to yourself by setting the fade to rear and the setting the balance. It makes no difference. The rears and dash are all the same output.

The 10" Bose woofers have thier own amplifiers built in and don't use the Bose amp in the passenger side footwell.

The only way to get good sound in a C6 is to replace the head unit, Bose amp and all the speakers. I have done all this and the results were AMAZING. The stereo now sounds fantastic and all for under one thousand dollars.

JVC head unit running the mid and full range speakers, a 200 watt amp running 8" woofers in place of the Bose units. Sound is clear and bass is very good now.

I have researched the wiring diagrams in the C6 and can still plug in the original components if i wanted too. Not one wire was cut.

Have my cake and can eat it too!:coo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts