Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a follow-up to my letter back in October of 2001. After the first dealership gave the car back to me and it still made the clicking noise at 2000 rpm, I decided to try another dealer. I brought the car to them in November and had them take a ride with me. The mechanic said it sounded like the lifters so I told him they were just put in by another dealer. He said when I was ready to put the car away for the winter to give him a call and he would take care of the noise. Like the other mechanic, I told them to keep it till the noise was fixed. He said I wouldn’t get it back till the noise was gone.
Around the middle of January they called to tell me the car was all set. I picked the car up and as soon as I drove off the lot I HEARD THE CLICKING!!!!! I think these mechanics either really don’t care or they haven’t got a clue!
I have since contacted GM. I wanted to speak to someone about this problem so they emailed me a note saying I could call an 800 number to speak to someone. Needless to say, I got some poor woman who listened to my problem (I don’t know why they gave me that number to call for a technical problem) and asked me if she could contact the first dealership to see if they had talked to a GM rep. (I knew they had, I had already told her they did). She came back on the line and told me the GM rep had told them not to do anything else to the car and that they had done what GM had recommended. (Lifter change). She then asked if I would hold for another minute and came back on the line with an offer. GM is now willing to upgrade my warranty to 5 years, 60,000 miles. I will probably accept this, but I will also tell them that I want this warranty to be good for whoever owns the car, in case I decide to sell it. By the way, the second mechanic said I had a bent guide plate and it was hitting the pushrod. Any comments?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Ticking??

My car has the same noise, I think. I talked to several other Z owners and many (well two anyway)said they have it in thier cars.

I have to turn off the radio to hear mine. Very faint.

Does it kinda sound like a bad speedometer cable (But not as loud) ?

I have been told it is the injectors. I actually thought it was the lifters too.

Hey you motorheads.. help me(us) out here.

I'll go complain though if I thought they would offer me a 5/60. Wasn't really worried about it yet though.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
C5

Uh, yeah.........did the tech say he REPLACED the bent plate & WHY it was BENT to begin with??.
Questions I would want an answer to before I agreed to anything...........
GM, volunteering to upgrade warranties.............this is a scam, because they are USUSALLY not transferable, and most folks trade vehicles every 2 years.......so.......they get off scot free...............AND you off their backs.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mechanic said it was slightly bent and he straightened it out. He had no idea how it got bent. Like I said, the mechanics didn't seem to know much about this engine!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I think you were BS on the guide plate. I've never heard of a bent guide plate. Pushrods yes not guide plates.

If the guide plate was bent it would have been noticed at the factory and never installed.

The sad truth is most of the mechanics today at GM don't drive the type of cars we have. So they have little knowledge about them.

There are rare cases where a dealership will have a mechanic that works on Corvettes only but those days are pretty much gone. Like when the Big Blocks had tri-power carburation they usaully had one mechanic at the dealership that tuned up the tri-power cars and most of the shop had a muscle car sitting out in the parking lot not a Toyoto pick up.

I get pretty worried when I leave any of my cars at any dealership anymore.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I hate to say it, but it sounds like you're chasing a non-problem. Lots of us hear a light clicking around 1800-2000 rpm .. the noise is generally thought to be the injectors. There's no reason for there to be any lifter noise, given that they're hydraulic, not solid, while injector noise is fairly common. The Z makes lots of odd noises, all considered normal. Drive the car until it breaks, then get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Something we may have over looked is the 02 valves are hollow or much lighter than stock valves and that may be the common noise to our cars. Just seems like lots of cars clicking but no mechanical failures on this sight.

My 02 sounds like solids at times even though they aren't. I have the clicking but it hasn't effected performance or gotten loud enough to warrant a shop call.

:guiness:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Note on clicking

I have now been sent a component letter from GM that will now cover my engine for 5 yrs. or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. I was also told by the last mechanic that GM was now recommending I use 15 weight synthetic oil instead of 5w30.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Note on clicking

C5Z06 said:
I have now been sent a component letter from GM that will now cover my engine for 5 yrs. or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. I was also told by the last mechanic that GM was now recommending I use 15 weight synthetic oil instead of 5w30.
I would love to see that one in writing............We have not gotten any SB's thru our franchise or Pennzoil regarding this recommendation.......Odd:-? :-? I don't even know if anyone make a straight 15wt synthetic oil, 15-40 , yes......but 15wt??

Why did it take the tech 3 months to find this bent plate???? :bs:

Is the noise gone??

Sounds like you got free winter storage, and a free extended warranty!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This problem was handled by 2 different dealerships in the R.I. area. Neither one could get rid of the noise or explain what might be causing it. The noise is still there. I also think the bent plate was BS because the first dealership changed the lifters and they never saw it. I DON"T TRUST ANY OF THE MECHANICS AT EITHER DEALERSHIP! I don't think they are trained on these cars!
I should have been more specific. He did not mean straight 15 wgt.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You have the car under warranty and I know the clicking sound must bug you but enjoy the car. As I said previously,I think you were BS about the bent guide plate.

One thing I may have missed is a possible roller on your lifters or rockers. But when they go bad they get louder and louderuntil they effect perfomance.

If the noise is constant and doesn't get worse, enjoy the car. The worse thing that could happen is getting a new engine that GM will get you. Only problem there is installation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe this is a shot in the dark but I do recall the guy on the video tape, the one that comes with your car, saying "that it is normal to hear a clicking comming from your car". Mine does this and it sounds more like it is comming from the propeller shaft tunnel. Heck if all else fails turn up the volume on your stereo!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts