Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in most of the replies to my threads, and many other threads here, that many people are saying the regular C5 and the C5 Z06 are in "totally different classes".

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z06 and do agree it's a monster, but I have to disagree with that statement when referring to the stock 2001 Zee, because there's only a 35HP difference from the stock C5. IMO, that doesn't constitute a big enough difference to refer to it as being in a completely "different class". I'd say the 01 Zee's are in the same class as the C5's, just definitely at the top of that class.

That said, I'd definitely say the C6 Z06 is in an absolutely completely different class than the regular C5, because it has about 150 more HP, and even in a completely different class than the regular C6, with about 100 more HP. Those are significant differences.

I know there are more than a few enhancements that the 01 Zee has over the regular C5, that's why I'd rather have ANY year Zee over a regular C5...but with only 35 more HP, I'm wondering why so many people are saying it's in a totally different class. Are you all talking about only '02+ Zee's? Maybe I'm missing something here??? :-?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Lighter weight, better handling and suspension, more power, better brakes, better look, etc. I think it is a different car, but that's JMHO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would look forward to the pundits testing the C6 Z06 against the historical and documented 2001-2004 Z06's.

My interests would include how much better or worse does it do all those things that over the C5 model years Corvette spent years refining.

One example might be the 2004 Sach's rear shocks that let the car run a tested track 3/4 seconds faster. Does the new Z06 intergrate the more power better/same/worse, etc. etc.

The obvious stuff that I have gathered so far is the interior appointments are of "higher" quality......

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you had ever gotten an opportunity to drive both on a road course you would realize that there is a huge difference between the standard C5 and the Z06. It's not just more horse power athough there is between 40 and 50 crank horse power difference. The acelleration is very noticeable as is the cornering and handling. The braking is noticeable too.

At Moroso Motorsports Park during the Justin Bell driving school, we drove C5 hatchbacks and Z06s. It was easy to tell the difference and it was also the concensus among all of us that attended that is was quite noticeable.

In the Z06 I was able to achieve more than 5 mph higher speed down the front stretch and take it a good 50 ft deeper into turn one. I was also able to take the Z06 through the S and chicane much faster and with a better line. The Z06 sucked down to the road much better allowing for the better performance.

We also got to drive our own cars on the track too. Having made some mods to my car I had additional 60 rwhp over stock Z06. I saw almost 10 mph faster down the front stretch over the stock Z06. I can imagine a T1 suspension and brake upgrade would have helped in the turns and over all lap time too.

Z06 Rocket said:
I've noticed in most of the replies to my threads, and many other threads here, that many people are saying the regular C5 and the C5 Z06 are in "totally different classes".

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z06 and do agree it's a monster, but I have to disagree with that statement when referring to the stock 2001 Zee, because there's only a 35HP difference from the stock C5. IMO, that doesn't constitute a big enough difference to refer to it as being in a completely "different class". I'd say the 01 Zee's are in the same class as the C5's, just definitely at the top of that class.

That said, I'd definitely say the C6 Z06 is in an absolutely completely different class than the regular C5, because it has about 150 more HP, and even in a completely different class than the regular C6, with about 100 more HP. Those are significant differences.

I know there are more than a few enhancements that the 01 Zee has over the regular C5, that's why I'd rather have ANY year Zee over a regular C5...but with only 35 more HP, I'm wondering why so many people are saying it's in a totally different class. Are you all talking about only '02+ Zee's? Maybe I'm missing something here??? :-?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The name and the body styling alone puts the car a class of it's own.

Lighter weight, more aggressive gearing and suspension etc etc etc.

:z:

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Z06 was meant to be the high performance corvette from the very start for the hard core corvette person who wanted a high performance version for street and track use, which in it self made it distinctly different from other C5 vettes. I think GM hit a home run with the C5 Z06 and the new C6 Z06 will be even better.
JMHO

·
Registered
396 Posts
Simple. A stock Z06 will blow the doors of my 2002 coupe with ram air intake and aftermarket exhaust. A good driver can do the quarter mile about 8/10s of a second quicker in a Z06 than in a regular C5.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeyB said:
I'm not sure I understand the question, nor why it is asked...
I think it's obvious why it was asked - like I said, I love my Z, but I just don't see it as being in a "totally different class" than a regular C5. Maybe my gripe is I think they should have added more HP, especially in the '01 version. If you're gonna make a special version of a car, at least add 50 more stock HP! ...I know there are other enhancements, but a mere 35 more HP just seems insignificant. :roll:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you take a stock 2001 C5, and simply add a quality lightweight exhaust (Borla, or such exhaust), and a ram air intake, you should add at least 30-35 HP, right? Well then you're up to 385, the same exact HP as the '01 Z...how will the Z "blow the doors off" of the lightly modded C5...??? Because it has a better suspension? I don't think so. Again, I know there are other enhancements, but it takes more than 35HP to kick it up to a "different class".

GM obviously agrees with me (now), and has changed their view of how much disparity there should be between a stock vette, and the Z version -- just take a look at the difference in HP between the stock C6 and the C6 Z06 -- 100 HP! Now THAT is in a totally different class than the regular C6.

Get my point now? :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Given your feelings about the relative "non" difference between a C-5 vs a Z06, what led you to get a Z06?

As I recall, the Z06 served to revitalize the so called "entry level" FRC or hardtop sales that were by most accounts, sagging. Out of the starting gate it was to be honest "a bust".

I originally was on the 2000 model list and did not make the cut. So I just remained on the 2001 new car factory waiting list. I got the Z06 because I truly liked the hardtop styling (and still do). The enhancements were a pleasant surprise. The price at the time was actually less than a convertible C5.

The new C6 Z06 is by most accounts the direct competitor to the Dodge Viper. It also puts the 427 "big block" back on the market in a production sports car. It will probably wear the enhanced price sticker to boot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does 5 seconds a lap on a 2 mile road course put the Z06 in a different class from a coupe? Don't get so hung up on hp, unless you are drag racing, better suspension, tires and brakes will do alot more for good laps than hp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys please don't get my wrong - I love my Z... I bought it mostly because it's different, it has a few nice enhancements over the regular C5, and it was a good deal. There are a LOT of regular C5's around, and I hate being a lemming, so I sought out to find a Zee... :thumb:

I also love getting attention, and the different appearance from a regular C5 (Z06 badges, rear brake vents, different rims, different brakes with red calipers, screens int he fascia, etc) makes it stick out - people do a double take.
I really think a lot of people don't even know a special version of the vette was ever made! Hell, I didn't even know about the Zee until I saw one on the highway a few years ago. I've always loved the C5 body style (don't care for the C4), but I never wanted to buy one because I like being different, and too many people had them.... When I saw that Z on the highway I said to myself, "I have to have that." When I finally found a good deal on one, I jumped on it.

I'm not much of a "rally" driver - I'm more into dragging and brute HP, so that's what I concentrate on. I'm not trying to diminish the Z in any way - it's an amazing car, but based solely on HP, I just can't see how it's in "a different class" than the regular C5. JMHO - I didn't mean to stir up a debate.. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Then I am a bit more perplexed given your stated purpose of brute hp and drag racing. The majority of folks who "drag" race, first and foremost have an automatic transmission. 100% of Z06's have a 6 speed manual. Almost any serious HP modification almost mandates both an engine and transmission engineering and rework.

The Z06's balance (or lack there of in your mind) is really geared more to road and track: higher speed long distance road work, or personal "rapid transit".

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ruking1 said:
Then I am a bit more perplexed given your stated purpose of brute hp and drag racing. The majority of folks who "drag" race, first and foremost have an automatic transmission. 100% of Z06's have a 6 speed manual. Almost any serious HP modification almost mandates both an engine and transmission engineering and rework.
Doesn't make sense to me. I always thought people that "drag" have a manual transmission, thus all the conversation about when to change gears, and redlines, etc, etc... None of that really applies to an automatic trans. :-? I prefer a manual because you can get the most juice out of every single gear. IMHO, a true sports car with an automatic transmission is just silly.
And they obviously got more HP without major engine re-working on the '02 - '04 Zee's... they have a difference of 55-60HP from a stock C5 (I think before 2000 the stock C5 had 345HP) - that was the focus of my whole point, with only 35 more HP, it's in the same class, 'HP-wise' as a newer C5, IMO...

ruking1 said:
The Z06's balance (or lack there of in your mind) is really geared more to road and track: higher speed long distance road work, or personal "rapid transit".
Dude you can go back and read my original post - I never demeaned the Zee in any way, and I never said it has a lack of balance or HP. All I said was that I thought it's generally in the same class as a regular C5. Obviously it's a better version of the C5 - I know that; anyone could figure that out... but it's pretty much in the same class, just at the head of it's class, IMO.

Like I said before, maybe 50+ HP and other enhancements would put it in a totally different class than the regular C5. Anything short of that, you're really just making a better version, not a completely different class of car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The gearing and weight savings alone are enough to put it in its own class :drunken:

You definatly bought the wrong car for drag duty . . . perfect weight balance , stiff road race inspired suspension . . . you would be better off with a live axle automatic fbody or mustang me thinks :-?

·
Registered
373 Posts
..."Doesn't make sense to me. I always thought people that "drag" have a manual transmission, thus all the conversation about when to change gears, and redlines, etc, etc... "...

What do you mean by drag? This is not to say that some folks do not drag race their manual Corvettes!? Just as there are some folks that drag race manual Porsche 911's.

I am referring to drag racing on the drag strip. Almost everyone that competes in whatever class uses an automatic. So why would you label folks using automatic transmissions to drag race as being silly?

To me I bought and use the manual because it is a sports/road/touring car. Am I missing a prior post or hidden agenda here? Why do you think there is a demeaning message here? The Corvette is basically not set up for drag racing.

The real issue for 385 hp for the 2001 Z06 was the fact that they did not have the emissions controls ready for market and had to use cat pups. The next year they were able to put it up around 405 hp. Then the other problem with just that modest increase they had durability problems and had to redesign the clutch etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the problem is that you're trying to understand why it's in a different class, but you're only looking at horsepower.

If you only take horsepower into consideration, then they aren't in a different class.... but then if you had a 350 horsepower Camaro then that would also be in the same class as far as you are concerned, except that the Camaro is better suited for drag racing.

To understand what sets the Z apart, you have to look at the whole package. The stock Z06's run with the Porsche 911 turbos, Ferraris, and Laborghinis on the road course. It is in THAT class of sports car. The regular C5 in stock form cannot compete in that 'class'. Also, the Z06 completes the 12 mile Nurburgring road course in Germany in 7:56. Here is a link to lap times from that track. Notice some of the slower cars, like Ferarri Maranello 550, Lamborghini Diablo, the Honda CBR-900, Porsche 993 Turbo, etc...

The Z06 is a special car for road racing. It's in another class from the regular Corvette. Don't look at just the horsepower. It's the whole package, designed to work together. The extra horsepower is just one small piece of the puzzle.

-Dave C '04 Z06

Link:
http://www.nordschleife.no/

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Z06 Rocket -

This is one of the subjective issues - based on opinion.

I own a 99 C5 A4 3:15 coupe, and a 2002 Z06.

Completely different driving experience - the coupe is very similar to my 1989 Firebird Formula (much faster of course), but with the auto the car feels sluggish and somewhat "lazy" when compared to the Z06.

The steering of the Z seems lighter and more crisp, the 6 speed is a lot more responsive and the power, well, it's a lot more impressive. :D

Are they so different as to be considered in a different class? Depends on who you ask - I would affirm that notion. :thumb:

Keep in mind that a lot of folks who I associate with that are not as "in-tune" to the nuances of Corvettes as we are

Many folks cannot even tell a C4 from a C5.

Test that out on some friends who you might think would be able to tell.....

best regards -

mqqn

1 - 20 of 36 Posts