Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

sorry about all the questions I keep asking, its been 6 weeks having a Z06, and the forum is the only place I can turn to for questions, cause there isn't that many Z06's around here, and I don't know anyone that has a Z06 that I can compare notes with...(and I am new to V8 muscle, I used to be in the 4 banger import scene...but I wasn't a ricer!!)

so basically, my Z06 is stock. But the exhaust sounds pretty dam loud. Even my friends wonder if the previous owner did anything to it, cause its sounds sick. Is it normal that when I am crusing around.... when I let off the throttle, the exhaust almost makes this "bubbling, popping" sound... as if it almost had straight pipes. It sounds crazy.

I also noticed on the hwy the other day, if I am crusing in 6th gear at 60mph... and I floor it, the exhaust sounds really deep hollow and loud...it can even be annoying cause I just want to cruise and relax, but its very loud its music to my ears...but.... my wife will get a headache we go for a long trip....

However, after I was driving for a while, and i was on the hwy again, and in 6th gear, i floor it again, and the exhaust sounded a lot quieter, and smoother.... it wasn't loud anymore, and more enjoyable, especially for a long trip.

I also mangaged to download a Z06 sound clip of a stock exhaust just reving at idle, and it sounded a lot smoother than mine. My exhaust system looks pretty stock, but maybe the prev owner changed a mid pipe or something.

anyway, just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Popping on decel is normal.
There are several possibilities.
1. The exhaust system is not stock
2. The cats have been removed
3. No cats and a nonstock system
:cheers:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i know for sure the muffler and tips look pretty stock.

I have no idea if the cats were removed. When I bought the car the previous owner told me the car had a Ram Air. After I took possesion, and did my inspection, the car did not have any Ram air system what so ever. Maybe it had some sort of exhaust modification, I don't know. I guess I will search for some stock exhaust pictures, and compare to what I have underneath the car.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
The stock system can get pretty loud at wide open throttle - but nothing like some of the after-market systems. A partition helps a lot in that regard.
There is a lot of difference of opinion because it is based on your frame of reference. If you are used to a stock Honda Civic, the stock Z is loud. If you are used to a pro stock drag racer the Z is quiet. :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't you just love the sound of a V8 wide open? Popping sound as said before is normal. Sounds better on a Harley but still a nice sound the Z! :jammin:

Do you have headers? Pretty easy to spot. They do increase the sound a bit. :)

No Cats? You can always tell by the smell. :flaming:

Stock intake? Are you sure? No Vararam or other modification? :D

After driving, sound fatigue is a phenomenon that will make the once loud exhaust sound quite normal. For example, ever start the car up in the morning and literally jump from the volume you left it in the night before? :eek:

·
Registered
882 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
Hi all...

(and I am new to V8 muscle, I used to be in the 4 banger import scene...but I wasn't a ricer!!)

"bubbling, popping" sound... as if it almost had straight pipes. It sounds crazy.

but its very loud its music to my ears...but.... my wife will get a headache we go for a long trip....
So how does the wife like the new you compared to the old ricer I mean 4 banger you? :)

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Congrats on jumping to the other side, V8 Muscle Sound.:cool:

Jack

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the feedback guys...

well, I guess its just a stock exhaust. No signs of aftermarket intake, headers..etc...

I still freak out over the sound this car lets out. When i lauch the car, it sounds like a monster truck on nitrous... simply crazy.

Well, I was used to driving around an Integra typeR... very high reving screamer 8800rpms!!!..., it made no exhaust sound at all, all you heard was the motor, and the special high end cam (VTEC crap).

my wife had an acura RSX... which we sold cause I couldn't stand it...

we have a vw jetta 1.8 turbo (pushing 20PSI) ... all you hear on this car is the turbo spooling up...and blow off valve when you shift...

but the vette... its just tooo sweet... when I drive this car, I feel more american than you guys!!!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The stock system should be relatively quiet as it has to pass the same drive by standards that all other cars sold in the USA have to.

Could it be possible you have a leaky manifold or something or a hole in the exhaust.

The reason I mention this is its the first time I ever heard any one complain about the sound.

If your car is still under warranty. I'd have it checked out at a dealer. If not...the next time your getting the oil changed and the car is under the lift. I'd have the car running and check along the pipes.

I found an exhaust leak that way on a set of headers andyour words sound very familiar.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the burble is normal. i like the stock exhaust it sounds great for now. my room was above the garage in my last house and when my dad would back it out to get my brothers atv out of the garage i swear that i could feel the car through the floor. my car does seem to have this loud whistle the moment i let off the gas on a hard shift. i thought it was an intake leak but couldnt find the source. my friend who was driving next to me was like your car sounds like its got a BOV when you shift. this only happens under hard aceleration is this normal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts