Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my car in the air and the wheels off. I bought it this past winter - an 02 with 11K miles. The previous owner, a friend, claimed the rubber was original. I believe him now. I bought the NAPA rotors and the Carbotechs are on the way (XP 8 & 9).

But now I have a quandary - which rotors to use? The stock ones have barely perceptible wear, hardly detectable at the edge. They show no sign of thermal abuse. So the question stands.

Also - any idea how much tread comes on the F1's? The shallowest reading I could get on the rears was 0.118 (3.5ish 32nds).

Thanks again...

·
Banned
809 Posts
What do you want to do? Do you want to keep a set of street rotors and track rotors or does it matter? I'm asking because the track rotors will get looking pretty nasty after a couple of DE's.

If you want to keep a set of street and track rotors, I would keep the GM rotors for the street and season the NAPA rotors for the track. The reason why I would do this is because the hats are painted on the GM rotors and won't rust as easily as the NAPA hats.

If you don't care, just run the GM rotors until they're gone and then have the NAPA rotors as back ups. As soon as the GM rotors bite it, switch over.

Sorry. I have no idea what the original tread depth was on the GY F1SC tires.

Sal

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
yehp, run stock, NAPA or Raybestos rotors. If for DE's, you will love the Carbotech pads with the stock rotors-I am running this set up and it's awsome at the track:thumb:

You can always spray paint the hats if you don't like the rust look :lol: mine are never on long enough to rust haha

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Stock the F1's come with 10/32's.
I would use your stock rotors until you see noticeable cracks. Then go cheapest possible rotors and replace with pads about every 3rd weekend.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stock F1's come with 8/32 in new.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I have heard that the XP 8 & 9 combo is quite streetable. I would like to just leave the brakes in place and change things as needed prior to DE's. Given that nobody has suggested that the GM rotors degrade in a profound manner under DE conditions or worse, I think I will just abuse the stoke and keep the NAPAs in the spares box.

I may try to paint the hats if the rust actually bothers me, which it likely will not since I can't see it when I'm behind the wheel :)

Since I have never done a track event in equipment I own or maintain, I have no idea what kind of wear to expect on components like brakes and tires. Any idea how long a set of F1's last under moderate DE conditions. I know this is a very subjective question. I will be running at Watkins Glen - lots of braking. Just trying to get a feel for what the tire budget will be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
In terms of track performance with Carbotech pads, you will see no noticeable difference between the stock and NAPA rotors. I get about 3 track weekends out of my pads and rotors before the rotors are heat cracked and the pads worn down to the rivets. I was running XP10 front, XP9 rear last season, just switched to running XP11 front, XP10 rear (new compound) for my last race weekend (two wins).

Back when I was DEing my car, I wore out the stock front F1SCs in two DE days and 3k total miles, but I was fairly experienced when I did my first DE. Front toe and camber will make a big difference in wear. I increased my front camber to -1.75 or so.

Have fun out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yep,
Run the cheapest rotors you can find til they crack (you'll normally hear a PING when you're sitting in the paddock cooling off)! All the Carbotech pads are very streetable and the dust isn't corrosive like Hawk. The Carbo dust is easy to clean and squeaking is at a bare minimum. The pads you've chosen are a good combination for both DE and street. Upgrade to the 10/9 combo for seriously hard driving and 11/10 for racing. Awesome stuff!

Tire wear has so much variance - track surface, camber, driving style...etc. I've seen guys get a full season of DE events (about 5) before they were toast. Other more agressive drivers like Brad and I wouldn't get more than just a weekend or two out of them. You can pretty much run them til you see cord though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts