Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that on the stock 04 Z06's the WOT afr was around 12.0:1 and the max timing was set at 22deg. If this is true than isn't there about 15-20rwhp left on the table? Bump the timing to 28+/- and lean it out to 13:1. Is the stock tuning the same on all year cars? Any answers would really help me make the decision if I want to get my car tuned or not. Thanks.
Brett

·
Registered
195 Posts
PRAY,

Your information is correct.

The 04s have some minor changes that allow them to make a little more power than the 02-03s. I do not know how tuning changes would hold up, but I suspect that in stock trim tuning changes only you could pick up another 15 to 20 hp. Your car should be right at 360 rwhlhp on a Dynojet as it sits.

Hope this helps with the thought process. :thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The stock 04's were programmed within a range. timing at 22-24 deg and AFR between 12.0-12.6. Also, the 04 PCM uses a faster CAN bus than previous systems, making it difficult to edit proprerly. When measuring AFR, make sure it is measured before the cat, tail pipe sniffers can vary +/- 0.6. Advance on a Z06 can be adjusted to 26-28 deg, However, when editing the PCM, be sure an use a scan tune, check your knock ratio's and percentages. These are oversimplifications but good guidelines. Another consideration. Avoid tuners who 1. lock the PCM, 2. remove all torque management and 3. turn off KR. They may give you an engine with great dyno HP but a grenade ready to explode. Those short cuts to tuning hurt you more than help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gordy M said:
The stock 04's were programmed within a range. timing at 22-24 deg and AFR between 12.0-12.6. Also, the 04 PCM uses a faster CAN bus than previous systems, making it difficult to edit proprerly. When measuring AFR, make sure it is measured before the cat, tail pipe sniffers can vary +/- 0.6. Advance on a Z06 can be adjusted to 26-28 deg, However, when editing the PCM, be sure an use a scan tune, check your knock ratio's and percentages. These are oversimplifications but good guidelines. Another consideration. Avoid tuners who 1. lock the PCM, 2. remove all torque management and 3. turn off KR. They may give you an engine with great dyno HP but a grenade ready to explode. Those short cuts to tuning hurt you more than help

I agree on 1 and 3, but 2? Why? :bs:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
PRAY said:
I was reading that on the stock 04 Z06's the WOT afr was around 12.0:1 and the max timing was set at 22deg. If this is true than isn't there about 15-20rwhp left on the table? Bump the timing to 28+/- and lean it out to 13:1. Is the stock tuning the same on all year cars? Any answers would really help me make the decision if I want to get my car tuned or not. Thanks.
Brett
There is no way there is 15 to 20 HP left in a Dyno tune on a stocker. More like 6 to 8 HP :z:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mr Cowl Hood said:
I agree on 1 and 3, but 2? Why? :bs:
Torque management is both in the engine and transmission software. If you have and auto, race it and remove all the TM without a shift kit, you will soon be puttting in another tranny. IF you leave a small amount of TM, it will cushion the shifts and extend the tranny life. If you want to go to an allout race setup, then put an 80 in. With engine TM, you need the cushion with a stock bottom end for longevity. With a built engine, you can raise the TM values to compensate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts