Corvette Z06 Forum banner

How do you prefer to hold the stock shifter knob?

• Top - Put my palm over the shift pattern

Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Side - Wrap my hand around it like a can or bottle

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Neither - I like it both ways the same

Votes: 29 22.1%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you hold the stock shifter knob? Are you a top gripper or a side gripper (For lack of better terms). Top Gripping means palm over the shift pattern and side gripping would have your hand wrapped around the right side of the shifter (Like holding a can or bottle).

For the most part, I have been a top gripper but recently, with the prospect of some thinner knobs like the HardBar and others, I have been trying to shift with a side grip, Like the C5-R drivers do. I think that I like it this way and I am guessing that there are advantages of holding it this way.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Definitely a side gripper.:yeadog: It works better in the snow, hehehe.:p

Joe:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You wanna know how I hold my knob? There are certain types of information that I won't divulge to just anyone.

Do I know you?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
I believe

we are receiving WAAAAAAAAAY too much information here!!! Or do you use five fingers or two :p :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
I love my stock shifter knob.......

It rests quietly in a box on my work bench, with the rest of the stock parts that needed replacement.

I added a Black Billet Aluminum knob to my Ripper. The stocker is just not to my liking! Now I shift both ways, it just depends on my mood and the driving requirement(s).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've always been a topper but I bought the MGW shift knob because I wanted to try being a side gripper. I actually prefer being a gripper but last night I got into some spirited driving and in the heat of things accidentally top shifted the MGW knob into fourth and almost missed the shift. It is going to take some getting used to.

I guess I'm still in between right now.

Paul
:z:

When the stock shift knob was on I would always top shift it.

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
I just received my silver aluminum billet Z06 shift knob. Nice and heavy. Didn't get it from support' vendor,(mybad :{ but when I said I was a member of Z06Vette.com , they gave me a 10% discount :cheers: Gawd, I love this place....It ROCKSSSSSSS :D :D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
CDH --

That's just the thing about the awful stock knob -- how ARE you supposed to grip the dang thing?! No position is comfortable! A squared-off shift knob on a sports car? Hell, even school buses have rounded knobs...

That's why I went with a Hardbar knob (like you mentioned). It's definitely a side-gripper (I think you've started a new term here) knob. What seems/feels so beneficial about it is that you can rip back on it naturally with all 4 fingers. amd throw it forward with the meat of your thumb and palm. It allows you to get a lot of hand surface area on the knob to do your shifting, and I think that's good.

Also, I think that the seating/shifting position in the Vette isn't very condusive to shifting as a top-gripper. I'm 6'-0", and since the seats keep you low with respect to the shifter, it just feels like you're at a level where you should be gripping the knob from the side. Now, in my Jeep Wrangler, I actually took the round knob off and put a Hurst T-handle on it -- from that high seating position, since the shifter is much more below your seating position, it feels much more natural to grip it over top. And, since you're kind of pulling it back and down, it crannies your wrist in an awkward way.

So, my vote is NONE OF THE ABOVE! Trash the stock knob, and get down to business with an appropriate aftermarket one!

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kirk,

The more I grip the stock knob on the side, the more I like it but as you stated, it is definitely not the optimum shape for side gripping. I think it was made more for top gripping. I am thinking about the Hardbar or the MGW knob because I don't know if I even want to put the stock knob on my Hurst when it arrives. That stock knob is a pain to get on and off with that tight pin.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
BrianK said:
Yikes! I recall reading posts a couple of months ago that said this site would never resort to that. I am disappointed.
Hmmmm... Yeah, what IS the deal with this? Was this person trying to sell his OWN wares, or what? I thought we could discuss unsupported wares (peddling them is a different story, I suppose)...

-Kirk

·
Registered
200 Posts
TOP. All the cars I have ever own have been sticks, and the top method was the most comfortable and natural. The Z06's handle isn't as comfortable from the top, but it's what I'm used to.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Topper here.

MSiska, just got the same shifter knob from West Coast Corvettes. I think it looks super cool!

Too bad my car's not here yet...

:(

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: I love my stock shifter knob.......

JTBear said:
It rests quietly in a box on my work bench, with the rest of the stock parts that needed replacement.

I added a Black Billet Aluminum knob to my Ripper. The stocker is just not to my liking! Now I shift both ways, it just depends on my mood and the driving requirement(s).
i concur minus the billet shift knob. it depends on my mood and requirements of driving:D :D :cheers:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would prefer any shift knob, as long as a Z06 is attached to the other end :D :lol:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts