Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally have found out for myself why everybody complains about the stock shifter. I used to think yeah ok it is a little notchy but otherwise it is fine. Well that is until for the first time I really pushed this car to it's limits including speed shifting. 1st to 2nd was fine but 3rd, forget about it. Not sure if I missed the gate or just tried to ram it in to fast, but the thing would not go into 3rd.
So I played around a little and sure enough it does NOT like to go into third while shifting fast. I also noticed it doesn't like down shifting from 4th quickly either.
Now it seems like all the gears shift hard and really notchy.

I have looked at some aftermarket shifters and think I have narrowed it down to either a Kirban or a Ripper.

However, I would like to keep the stock appearance and what I have heard from others is that it is noisier. How is it noisier? In the drive train or the actual shifting from the linkage?

Also, will a shifter really make the shifts smoother and cleaner? No missed gates?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I have never driven a car with a aftermarket shifter so I don't know how much they help and what all they help. I just know the stock one sucks for spirited shifting.

Anyway, any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Oh, any preferences/comparisons between the Kirban and Ripper are welcome too.

------------------
Rides:
01' TR Z06
00' Dodge Dakota 4X4

Hobbies:
Flying (Cessna 172's)

Donovan

·
Registered
107 Posts
The two shifters (from what I've read) are not that different. Some like the Kirban, others the Ripper. I have the Ripper in my car for the very reasons you stated in your "discovery" of the problems with the stock shifter. The replacement shifters have stronger centering springs. That translates into two things. First, the 2-3 upshift or 4-3 and 5-4 downshifts are a piece of cake.... If you miss any of those, it's because you forgot your wheaties! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
That brings up the second point. Because of the stronger centering springs, it takes more effort to move "out of center" so moving to first, for example, takes some extra effort. 6th gear (if you use it much) will require some effort since the centering springs want to bring you back to 4th when you come out of 5th.... It's also a little stiffer because of the shorter length (remember physics class?). Mine has either loosened up a bit since it was new or the right shoulder is a little larger..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif For overall driving fun, solid, accurate shifting, you should replace the stock shifter.
The noise problem seems to appear with the folks that have the replacement shifter but maintained the stock knob. I added a flameball (you gotta do it! www.flameball.com) and have had no problems with noise. There are other brands of shift knobs like Momo, etc. but they don't light up at night! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck in whatever choices you make... As I said, I haven't tried the Kirban so maybe someone else will chime in with their experience..... (BTW, Hurst apparently makes a shifter as well but I haven't heard too many folks comments about them)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed a Ripper. It took about an hour and the difference is unbelievable. I race my Z06 in Club Clashes here in Colorado, and with the stock shifter about half the time it goes 1-2-5, which is good for an additional 1 second. I ordered a Hurst (I have always had them) and summit wasn't able to get them from the manufacture and had to cancel my order after several weeks. I ordered the Ripper from them and it was here in two days. I haven't noticed any additional noise and it looks stock. By the way there is no linkage with these shifters they are like toploaders. I buried the old shifter in my backyard, under a tree!! hopefully it is a better fertilizer than it was a shifter (it sucked really bad).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts