Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone flip the stock GY's on the rim? I know they are asymetrical, but as they're not directional, maybe it works ok...any real reason not to do it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
Anyone flip the stock GY's on the rim? I know they are asymetrical, but as they're not directional, maybe it works ok...any real reason not to do it?
'grip' tread is on the outside .. 'rain' tread is on the inside.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I remember seeing a thread about a guy who did this. I think he went to the track with the tires that way... if my memory's still working. Anyway, I remember him saying that the car handled very differently. I think he said the car was all over the place (he was pushing it at the track).

My tires aren't worn so bad that I need to flip them. Are your tires that bad?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ZO6 AL-X said:
I remember seeing a thread about a guy who did this. I think he went to the track with the tires that way... if my memory's still working. Anyway, I remember him saying that the car handled very differently. I think he said the car was all over the place (he was pushing it at the track).

My tires aren't worn so bad that I need to flip them. Are your tires that bad?

I'm just thinking of doing it for street use and I don't really drive fast at all on the street.

Since I went to -1.5f camber, I've worn the insides of my fronts (particularly one side, I'm thinking due to road crown) to where the "blocks" are almost not visible. I've flipped tires in the past to equalize the side to side and am planning on doing it with the GY's...unless given a real reason not to!

The other option is to use DJ's suggestion of marking street and autocross camber settings on the eccentrics (particularly as I'm planning on going to at least -2.0f/-1.0r), but I'm not sure I'd really have the time to measure and re-set toe each time I change the camber. Is it really possible to mark the tie rod ends and end up with accurate toe settings, given how little of a turn effects front toe? How much time, on a lift, does it really take to change the alignment?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since I started running the T1 camber plates on the front, I wore the inside of my street tires out and subsequently flipped them over to balance the wear. It's fine - no problems on the street at all. Do it.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The other option to marking street/track/AutoX Toe settings on the adjusters is to realize that the adjustment is linear. Ie. you get so much adjustment per turn of the Toe adjuster nut.

I know what mine is.

One needs to get the car on an alignment machine and adjust the toe settings and see what 1 turn of the Toe adjuster nut does. One also needs to know which way to turn the nut to go Toe IN and Toe OUT. (This is learnt best by experience and why I do not hand out this info.) You have to do it.

Having portable Laser Toe Plates also helps to check things at the track

One needs to keep a notebook and record the settings and keep track of how the car handles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get what you're saying. I've done alignments with a number of different tools (heck, we used to do the Formula Vee with a scribe and a string :D ) and have a little understanding of what needs to get done, but am just thinking (dangerous!) that if I use a mark or need to do precisely 1/2 of a turn,or whatever the "number" is, each tie rod etc. that after a couple of times I'm going to be significantly off on toe, due to the cumulative effect of minor errors?

How long does it take you to do the alignment switches, now that you've done it a number of times?

btw, thanks for taking time to answer my questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts