Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 03 Z with 4,000 miles a couple weeks ago. It was the only Z I have driven, so I'm not able to compare with other stock Zs, but I am disappointed with the power and wonder if something may be wrong?

I had read that the Z will spin its tires in the first three gears..is this true? Not mine, in fact after turning on the "Competitive Driving", I can only get rubber when I rev it to about 2,500 rpms and launch it. Nailing it from a rolling start, say about 3,000 rpms in 1st gear does NOT spin the tires...and sometimes just a little chirp into 2nd. I can feel the torque as it climbs the gears, but no real push back in the seat. A couple friends even asked me if I was floored. After turning off traction control, I thought I was in for a scary ride...and to find out it's no big deal is disappointing. At about 75 in 5th gear, when I punch it, it builds speed slowly, but no push back in the seat..and I let off at 100 mph.

I've tried Shell V-power and Chevron premium to see if that helps..can't tell the difference. It almost feels like the timing is being retarded..is 91 octane in California good enough?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second part of previous post

Anyone know where I can find a shop with a dyno to measure my RWHP in the San Diego/Riverside area? I've got the factory warranty and won't hesitate to bring it in if I'm low on power. How much flucuation is there in power from the factory?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I'm not much into spinning tires, I burn them up too fast not trying. so maybe what you need is a little more understanding of what is happening. From my experience, fifth gear is for over 100mph if your trying for speed! Your car will pull strongest from 4000 up to redline.
Now if I open it up in first over 4000, It will run to redline very fast and if traction is off spin quickly. the same is true of 2nd & 3rd. Seems to me that third gear is good to some where around 100. I can't say exactly as I'm not looking at the speedometer then a hard shift to fourth will break loose the tires! fourth is good to some where around 140! so if your in fifth at 60 or 70 it isn't real fast. Now that said if you are not experienced with a very fast car (even if you are) it's a real good idea to learn these things slowly as a Z06 is nothing short of awesome when it comes to acceleration. When passing other cars you can easily miscalculate distances until you become accustomed to what will happen! These things are fast make no mistake about it! There have been entirely too many people tell us about how they totaled their car here and on other forums

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
RWHP numbers vary about 2 to 3% :z:
Take it to Andy at A&A Corvette Performance

477-A LAMBERT STREET
OXNARD, CA 93036
805-278-4107 or 888-838-8377 (888-VETTEPRO)
805-278-4108 (FAX)
http://www.aacorvette.com/

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Like someone else stated I am not big on spinning my tires either, and most of what you have described is SOTP impressions that may have a lot to do with your driving technique. When I track my car getting wheelspin off the line and through the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts is not a problem.

I suggest a few things:

1. Go to a local 1/4 mile track with some experienced Z06 drag racers. Have them help you with your technique, and also see how your car stacks up against similar cars on the same day etc.

2. If you find that your MPH is substantially below other stock Z06's at the track and it is not your driving technique (likely) then I would start looking for other problems.

3. 91 octane is probably OK, I run 93 - you may be having some knock problems and the ECM is pulling timing, that can make a huge difference in power.

4. Hook up with some local San Diego Z06/Vette owners, get to learn the car, local shops, dyno's etc. A dyno might be in order, but frankly I don't think it is necessary. Seat time is the best bang for the buck in these cars, IMHO.

Les

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback--I have plenty of racing experience. My previous car was a Porsche 911 which I admit was peaky on the horsepower curve and weak on torque below 3,000. SOTP is exactly what I'm talking about. Prior to that it was a Nissan turbo Z. It's been years since I last raced V8's (55 chev, w/ heavily modded 65 Vette 396), and that puppy would lift up and throw you back in the seat! So when I came back to a V8 w/405 hp, guess I expected more. The SOTP experience is more linear torque, but I know I'm piling on the speed pretty quick...guessing I want (need) another 100 HP to satisfy me for the time being! All in all, I luv this car! I haven't even gone into its cornering abilities yet (compared to the 911)! It would blow my 911 away on the twisties, and the 911 was no slacker in that department either!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
In my opinion, and contrary to some probably over exhuberant posting, it is very hard to get the Z06 to spin the rear wheels in any gear from a rolling start under most conditions.

Can you do it? Yes, as indicated by Les above. But that is a full throttle hard acceleration chirp after the shift which pretty much any car will do, especially if you keep the revs up. You can also get real wheelspin on cold days when the tires are hard, which has surprised some who weren't expecting it.

I've had rear wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear if I have really romped on it, but it is rare.

My thought is that your car is probably just fine. Getting it dyno'd however isn't a bad idea. Knowing where you stand is a good thing, and you might actually have a problem, which is very rare.

Good luck and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Where do you live in Cali...Maybe we can hook up and I will give you my impressions...

Greg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took my baby out today and I'd say she's running pretty good! I was at a half tank of fuel and I notice the difference compared to when it was full and the A/C on yesterday. Plus, I switched to Chevron premium on this tank, was using Shell premium. Not sure if the fuel makes any difference, but I like the Techron they put in it. PS: I come across so many people who wanna mess with me on the street..especially those damn pickups (I should name my car Ram-eater!!)! Don't they know what we have under our hood!

Temecula, CA

·
Registered
291 Posts
My car will spin the tires quite easily in first and second. I have never had a problem in third. Again if you are in 5th gear 70 mph you are not going to have any power at all. Stay above 3500 rpms and watch the car go. Have fun and be safe. Learn slowly please! Dr.Bigg

·
21,378 Posts
My take is it has a lot to do with the ambient temp and rubber compound. When the tires and roads are cold it's much easier to spin the tires then when it's hot. Also, my own personal belief is that not all Good Year F1 tires have the same traction ability because of slight variations in the rubber compound. A friend who has an 03 use to complain all the time about wheel hop and spin and he was bone stock. When we went to the drag strip, we both turned the same ET and MPH. He eventually switched to Pilot Sports and all his wheel spinning and wheel hopping went away. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Just bought an 03 Z with 4,000 miles a couple weeks ago. It was the only Z I have driven, so I'm not able to compare with other stock Zs, but I am disappointed with the power and wonder if something may be wrong?

I had read that the Z will spin its tires in the first three gears..is this true? Not mine, in fact after turning on the "Competitive Driving", I can only get rubber when I rev it to about 2,500 rpms and launch it. Nailing it from a rolling start, say about 3,000 rpms in 1st gear does NOT spin the tires...and sometimes just a little chirp into 2nd. I can feel the torque as it climbs the gears, but no real push back in the seat. A couple friends even asked me if I was floored. After turning off traction control, I thought I was in for a scary ride...and to find out it's no big deal is disappointing. At about 75 in 5th gear, when I punch it, it builds speed slowly, but no push back in the seat..and I let off at 100 mph.

I've tried Shell V-power and Chevron premium to see if that helps..can't tell the difference. It almost feels like the timing is being retarded..is 91 octane in California good enough?

In hot days from a roll a stock Z06 will not spin tires, if you pop the clutch it will or catch some lose dirt ect. It will, In cold days you can come off a ramp and nail in third and spin, especially if there still a bit of lose debree such as salt...

as for your 75mph punch from 5th, its no justice, a Z06 makes all its power above 3500rpms, that would require a 3rd gear, on 5th I think you would be at around 2500 rpms, which in this a case a base C5 would accelerate better from 2500rpms then a Z06 would until the Z06 hits 3500rpms and power just climbs very fast :jammin: From 3rd gear at 70mph there isnt much stock cars that can take the Z06, other then the new one coming out ofcourse :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
jub jub said:
My take is it has a lot to do with the ambient temp and rubber compound. When the tires and roads are cold it's much easier to spin the tires then when it's hot. Also, my own personal belief is that not all Good Year F1 tires have the same traction ability because of slight variations in the rubber compound. .

YES YES YES, BINGO BINGO, :yeadog: :yeadog:

My first set of rears where way more able to spin, when new, when bold, in the summer, in the winter ,you name it :pp: , Now with my new pair I got over the winter they are softer ect :yeadog: :yeadog: I used to fishtail in 2nd gear with my old tires until speed matched the end of the gear in any conditions, now with these tires in most conditions they will hook half way through and bog down the motor, diffrence night and day :yeadog:

·
Registered
41 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
I never get tire spin!
I don't know what you guys are talking about :screwy: :D

Mike
Right! :lol:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Firsttimevette,

Glad to have you aboard.

Vetts are poor burnout toys. This is my 5th and only my 67 BB roadster had the cahonies to light the rubber at will. It does seem to me that you may have a poor tune though from what you had to say.

Cheveron does seem to me to be the only fuel here that I have predictable results with. All in all, we have our very own shitty Cal 91 octane blend. :blush:

regards

Warp 10

1 - 17 of 17 Posts