Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering why I can't get the damn tires to squeal! I figured I'd have to wait for a really dry, warm day - and finally, the other day it came...the roads were BONE dry, and it was pretty warm, about 75 degrees, yet every time I pushed it hard, the wheels would just spin like mad, as usual. :mah: Although it may seem stupid, it'd be really nice to get 'em to screech every now and then - that at least tells me they're grabbing the road!

Am I the only one having this problem with the stock rubber? Were they designed to NOT squeal? They must be composed of some really really soft rubber or something. I know the Zee is a beast, and you can't just go flooring it from a stop - then of course the tires will spin out on you - but why the hell don't they ever screech?!?
To me, that means they're not grabbing the road at all, and that KILLS the raw torque and HP from a dead stop. Instead of spinning all that time, they could be grabbing the road, converting all that spin into forward acceleration - then the raw torque and HP would def kick in!

So what's the deal? My tires are pretty much brand new...do I need different tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Think of your tire as a pencil eraser. The hard ones squeal, the soft sticky ones don't. I believe you have a misconception about "squealing" tires grabbing more than non-squealing ones. The F1's are fairly soft rubber compared to your honda tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
Go around a sweeper like turn 1 at Road Atlanta at about 80 or 90 mph and you can get the tires to make some noise....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
GM did Z06 owners a favor by asking Goodyear to remove the "Squealers" from the F1 tires. This along with the stock titanium exhaust enables you to blow by the competition before they hear you coming. Stealth is nice. :yeadog:

Disclaimer: Not everyone shares this opinion. :mah:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
809 Posts
Why do you want your tires to squeal? :-?

Sal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
salvador said:
Why do you want your tires to squeal? :-?

Sal
I'm with Sal. Why do you want your tires to make noise? Does it really matter if they squeal? So long as you can feel that ass going from side to side you won't need them to squeal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
How do you find out the limits of your traction in each gear? Somebody please school us. The back end is usually breaking loose before I realize the wheels are spinning. I already need to buy tires for the rear at 10K miles. I feel cheated because I hardly put it into comp. mode. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Good sticky tires don't squeal. M&S rated 400 treadwear tire squal like stuck pigs. I understand your interest in hearing the limits of adhesion but you need to educate your butt's built-in yaw sensor. There is nothing sudden in how the rear moves around on a stock vette unless you're really clumsy with the throttle. Mine behaves like a giant Miata, easy to slide out and recover. Full-on race tires give even less warning of exceeding their limits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
z06_23_45 said:
I'm with Sal. Why do you want your tires to make noise? Does it really matter if they squeal? So long as you can feel that ass going from side to side you won't need them to squeal.

Well, I guess it's mostly because I'd like a somewhat audible signal to tell me when the tires aren't actually spinning anymore.. ;) And I also like the sound of "chirping" into second and/or third.

Basically, when the tires are squealing, you know they're definitely spinning, unless you're cornering hard, but I'm talking about going in a straight line for now.
They just break loose SO much - I'd like to know when they're done breaking loose, and start to actually grip onto the road. I'm thinking it would help me a lot going down the strip especially... then I'd be able to guage the amount of acceleration (or deceleration) I should be applying based on the amount of squeal that I'm hearing.

IMO, especially going into 2nd, it's very hard to tell exactly how long the tires are actually spinning before they grab. I can tell somewhat, because the ass end will swing to the left or right either a little or a lot, depending on how much throttle is squeezed... but any spinning will increase 1/4 mile times, just based on basic physics! If I know how badly the tires are spinning while they're spinning, then I could at least regulate the amount of applied throttle accordingly. :D

That said, I do think it would get annoying to hear them squeal every time I get on the gas, but at the same time I think it would act as an audible flag to help decrease 1/4 mi. times...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Find the right pavement... they DO squeal. I'd wondered the same thing but the other day I went for a drive and found a very flat surface concrete road. Didn't even expect it but when I hit third, it barked VERY loud and the TC kicked on. Couldn't believe it so I did it again, same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
silverz06vette said:
Or down T12 at about 105. :thumb:
You can't hear the tires in turn 12, or even the engine--all you can hear is your heart pounding and your arse puckering up the seat leather!!! :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
same here. I only hear it on extreme lateral acceleration like through Thunder Valley at Mid-Ohio :thumb:

I had to replace both rears recently, so on the way to the tire shop, I turned off all driving aids, and in a deserted area, spun the fool out of the tires. Got some smoke, but absolutely no sound.

I thought for a minute the smoke was coming from the hood as I heard no tire squeal!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh!

jnjboc said:
same here. I only hear it on extreme lateral acceleration like through Thunder Valley at Mid-Ohio :thumb:

I had to replace both rears recently, so on the way to the tire shop, I turned off all driving aids, and in a deserted area, spun the fool out of the tires. Got some smoke, but absolutely no sound.

I thought for a minute the smoke was coming from the hood as I heard no tire squeal!!
Yep.. :( It's ridiculous... I've been losing races to almost ANY car that pulls up to me next to a light because all I do is spin... for some reason, these other damn cars don't spin - they chirp the tires and they're off, while I'm spinning through first and second like a damn fool. :flaming:

And it's not that I don't know how to drive a manual... I shift smoothly, and I don't slam the pedal down - then of course I expect to spin. I squeeze until I'm at a decent speed, and then I pound it, and even then the tires spin! I might as well just stop trying to beat blown Civics in town from light to light, because I even lose to them. There's just no time to squeeze very slowly from light to light... by that time they're gone, and it's not like it's the highway where I know I'll catch up. Oh well, they know my car's faster - let em squeal and take off on me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
itchynackers said:
Think of your tire as a pencil eraser. The hard ones squeal, the soft sticky ones don't. I believe you have a misconception about "squealing" tires grabbing more than non-squealing ones. The F1's are fairly soft rubber compared to your honda tires.
Are you sure about that Itchy? I think the soft rubber is what squeels and these F1s are actually fairly hard. Where I live the weather is fairly cool except at the height of summer. I have constant traction problems until the warmer days. I just attributed that to the F1s being harder than the Pirellis and Eagles I have had on other cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Yep.. :( It's ridiculous... I've been losing races to almost ANY car that pulls up to me next to a light because all I do is spin... for some reason, these other damn cars don't spin - they chirp the tires and they're off, while I'm spinning through first and second like a damn fool. :flaming:

And it's not that I don't know how to drive a manual... I shift smoothly, and I don't slam the pedal down - then of course I expect to spin. I squeeze until I'm at a decent speed, and then I pound it, and even then the tires spin! I might as well just stop trying to beat blown Civics in town from light to light, because I even lose to them. There's just no time to squeeze very slowly from light to light... by that time they're gone, and it's not like it's the highway where I know I'll catch up. Oh well, they know my car's faster - let em squeal and take off on me...
If you haven't done it alredy, read Ranger's launching tips. You can't floor it in first gear until you are rolling and biting. A chirp off the start and then figure out how much gas you can give it and still get some bite. It seems stupid, but I have experimented a bit and with my best launches, I hardly get to floor it all in first until I am almost ready to shift into second but the car just walks away with this sort of launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
quiet spinning tars

This is a fun thread. Some years ago I bought a Showroom Stock prepped Z28. Had Dunlop SP8000's mounted. since it was my first hotrod since I was a kid, I wanted to squeal the tars. To my surprise, those softies didn't squeal. They bit, and I launched. Wow! My introduction to sticky street tires.
Agree with above, you gotta tune your SOTP yaw sensor and ear to themotor to know when they are biting. Best way to do this is at HPDE events. Get lots o practice in a legal setting.
have fun, be smooth, go fast.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top