Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when JC mentioned the stone chip problem around the back of the wheel wells and especially around the rear brake cooling plastic.

As I am preparing for this car show tomorrow, I am amazed at much chipping and sand blasting has been going on in those areas after about 9,300 miles. It is a real mess. It looks like someone has been chewing on the plastic around the rear brake cooling duct. I have never seen such damage on a car. I think it is due in part to the wheels being much wider than the car body.

What are some of you doing that have some miles on your car? :flaming:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to hear some comments guys, I can't believe that JC and I are the only ones with this problem.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Pilot,

When I got mine I could see the obvious problem of a big potential for rock chips front and rear. I bought "splash guards" from Ecklers(fiberglass) and had my bodyshop paint and install em. Looked real good and solved the problem.....until I had my Z lowered. The front were 2 1/2 inches off the ground, and dragged over speed bumps, etc. I was real careful, but I knew it was just a matter of time before they would break.....took about 6 months and the right front tried to bite a rack at my Chevy Dealer.

Too solve the problem, I had my bodyshop remove the splash guards and fill and paint the screw holes. Then they applied Mylar from the local Porsche dealer. Very hard to see, and protects the paint. The Mylar is made by 3M, and is difficult to attach by untrained hands!!

HTH:)

Barry

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair warning - you guys with new Z06's had better heed Barry's advice. I suppose I will have mine repaired before winter. I don't think you can do anything about the plastic piece.

Very poor design:(

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
We all have this problem, except for the 'garage queens'. I have 3000 miles at this photo, never in rain or snow, or off the pavement.

I think the General could have done a better job here, for sure.

pro

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
proexpert -- are all those little specs on the paint and duct actual chips, or just some dirt?? Plastic like that shouldn't show different colors when dinged -- just a black ding. These are black plastic all the way through, right?

Well, at least you know the inlet to the duct is out in the free air so it can cool the rear brakes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
0 Posts
You guys driving on gravel roads or something?? I have a few nicks on my ducts, but nothing even close to the picture. :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Damn, guess I shouldn't worry too much about the bottom of the rocker panels getting scraped up from the transportation truck :eek:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I know you guys don't know me but...
1. The car has never been off the pavement, NO GRAVEL ROADS. I do drive it hard, but on the road.

2. The car has never even been sprayed with a hose, it is sponged bathed after each drive, and is NEVER dirty. My girlfriend can verify this, I get alot of shit for cleaning the car daily and not taking care of other things. Plus, it has about 20 coats of Zaino.

3. The car has never been in the rain or snow.

So WTF gives with all the chips? No, it's not dirt, they are paint chips and plastic pitts. It's a Chevy guys, even though we all paid 50 large, it's still a Chevy. No it's not an excuse nor do I think it should be happening. What can we do?

Carl, and suggestions?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I saw a post of a guy with a yellow Z who took his rear brake ducts off and had them painted to match the car. Can't find the link right now.

Perhaps he is here somewhere. I really don't remember much except that it was a yellow car. Perhaps it was with the roll bars discussion.......

But if those come off and can be painted, then there is a good fix.

Hopefully that will help.
chris

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Besides the tires probably sticking out further on the Z06 than on the lesser Vettes, ;) the tires are very sticky and pick up sand and small stones and throw them off all over our cars. Don't even think about painting the rear ducts, they will look awful in no time. One answer: buy a primer colored car like Frank and I did. Doesn't show much at all. :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have some nicks as well but confined to where the fender tucks behind the wheel and pretty low. My rear brake ducts look pretty good yet after 8200+ miles. I haven't noticed any chips around them. As Ron (Rippied) stated, the chips don't seem to show up as much on the QS cars.
I drive mine regularly and I figure that kind of stuff is going to happen. No use worrying about it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
After reading the above thread, it almost sounds like some of the Zs had paint that chipped easily. Maybe too soft?

:guiness: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mine looks the same. Plus the nose. I figure at some point, I'll have to repaint, but hell, I drive mine. Shes not a garage/trailer queen.

·
Registered
764 Posts
CPA,

Had the same problem with my Black Z. Micro chips mainly under the bottom rocker from the front tire back. With the Black car it shows a white chip. DROVE ME NUTS.

I started using the "Ultimate Touch Up System" and it greatly improved these areas. You use a blender and rubber applicator to fill in small micro chips. Worked very well.

Currently working on modifying Ecklers front mud flaps to work without drilling into the car.

Mark

·
Registered
764 Posts
Frank,

LMAO! Your a FUNNY guy...:razz: How long have you been sitting on that thread waiting for the right opportunity???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts