Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you stop the chips on the black inside of brake intake? i have 1300 miles and they look like crap... was woundering about putting mud flaps on to save the intakes .. any sugestions?... thanks jim

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Me too ...

When you find an answer, I need it too, as you can see. And NO, I have not been on dirt or gravel roads, nor have I driven in the rain or snow. This is from normal summer driving. I think the general could have done better here.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have the same...perhaps a replacement every now and then is in order...or perhaps a stronger plastic is in order...;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
They are positioned to catch air. Therefore they'll catch all the grit that flies by including the stuff coming off the front tires.

I ran contoured mud flaps on my 89 painted to match the body. They were great but the asthetics on the C5 seem a deterrent.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I won't bother posting my chips, but I certainly hope the general squares off the leading and trailing edges of the wheel wells for the C6 :(

JC

·
Registered
288 Posts
Stone chips on rear brake intakes

Im not sure how this would look or even be applied, but.....3M make a clear material that sticks to the paint of your car (w/o adhesive of course) it lookslike the "color forms" from years ago , they just cling on. I was told the eastwood co sells it. All you do is cut it to the shape you need and it clings to the car. I know this works real well on the painted portions of the wheel well but i'm not to sure it will stick to the cool air vents.... I heard it's rather inexpensive, it may be worth a try...... I plan on ordering som for the strip of wheel well which faces the tire. You can peel and reaply between washings....
Mike

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
sabslt4 said:
how do you stop the chips on the black inside of brake intake? i have 1300 miles and they look like crap...
Sure way is to don't drive it :D. Least desirable solution!

Stongard does wonders for stopping rock chips on the paint, but you couldn't put it on the plastic duct.

Mud flaps would be the only real solution, but you have to wiegh looks over protection. Personally, I just put Stongard on the rocker panels, and around the ducts, and am going to let the plastic get chewed. Alittle ArmorAll will hide most of the damage :D.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys thanks for in put but i think im going to try the flaps and see what happens , im sure they wont look pretty on my 02 my but i have to try it after seeing the pic in the post i cant belive the general would have slacked on this area ....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm getting a lot of chips on mine too. I don't really know what the alternative would be other than to make them non-functional. They are going to want to 'flow', and the air at that point is grit-bearing ... If you use Zaino or 303 on them you can make the pitting less noticeable. You could also hit them lightly with some sandpaper, then wash and treat with Zaino or 303.

I'm not worrying about it. When I bend over that far I get a backache anyway, so I'll just squint a little when I look at the rear ducts.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What about.......

Jerry Velders said:
and the air at that point is grit-bearing ...
Over the real long run like 12k a year, what else is getting sand blasted?:eek:
:cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The general could have done this ...

This is what I would like to see, actually spend some money on a mold. What we got from the general is a quick fix thing. I have been in product development for 25 years, I've seen it happen. Managers don't care. Look what we (the engineering community) did with the Challenger shuttle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is is easy to replace the plastic piece?

- Charley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts