Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally had a beautiful day to take my Z up to Bellevue WA to the Stongard factory. For those of you who don't know what Stongard is, it is a clear protective film that is permanently (Can be removed) affixed to certain rock prone areas of the car (Nose, mirrors, wheel wells, rocker, door edges, door handle cups)

Well my initial feeling is that this stuff is really :cool: It actually enhances the shine on the front end of the car:D This stuff is almost totally invisible, and is guaranteed for as long as you own the car :eek: I even had the lights done, which is also guaranteed with a replacement clause!!

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the whole process. The workmanship is very good, and the service was excellent!
They even cut me a 15% discount because I told them I was going to post my experience, and pass the word......pretty cool huh? :cheers: (I have no afilliation with the Co.)

The Vette is available in a Full or Partial kit. I went with the full kit along with some custom work (Had my rocker panels completely done) The whole job cost around $900 with the custom work. ($700 without) the partial kit would be less. The stuff can be washed and Zanioed just like the paint!

The way I figure, it is cheap guaranteed protection compared to a lot of chips. Anyway......I am very happy :) :D Just thought I'd pass the word.

Click Links for pic's

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5
All pictures taken with flash

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That's a DAMN sweet idea....pity they have such an emotional attachment to their plastic...:(

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great pics.. It looks great on the EB, but perhaps not on black.

I wonder if this is the same film used on the leading edge of helicopter rotors? I believe that material may also be used on NASCAR windshields (giant tear-offs) and to protect the hood art during races.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Looks nice. I would really like to invest in some of it. Im sure its a pain saver. But $900.00? Thats insane! :eek: Im still saving for my HRE wheel purchase. I want them more than that plastic. Lower the price on it some and I will consider it, but wow, 900 bucks. Glad you have it. Im sure you will love it. Talk to you all soon! :)

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Andy Cravens said:
Looks nice. I would really like to invest in some of it. Im sure its a pain saver. But $900.00? Thats insane! :eek: Im still saving for my HRE wheel purchase. I want them more than that plastic. Lower the price on it some and I will consider it, but wow, 900 bucks. Glad you have it. Im sure you will love it. Talk to you all soon! :)

Andy
02 T/R Z06
$900.00 is cheap insurance compared to bodyshop rates.................

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMA Z06 said:

$900.00 is cheap insurance compared to bodyshop rates.................
Obviously, my exact sediments :guiness:

The cool thing is when I upgrade to the C6 Z, I peel of the old.....and it still looks new:D :p

BUT....I love this Z so much, who knows what the future will bring:cheers:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've already spoken to a shop here in San Diego.. it's one of the 1st things I'm going to do. They quoted me $200 installation and I can buy the product from anyone. They don't have a preference and guarantee their work. They are a body shop for high end cars. They do a lot of body work for Porsche and Ferrari dealerships here in San Diego. They've been installing the 3M product for 11 months and do about 4 cars per week.

They said that the only diff. between stonegard and xpel is mainly the price, but stonegard is a 9mil product and xpel is 8mil. Stonegard is one piece front bumper for $350, Xpel is two pieces for $240. Both cover the same, but they suggested that Stonegard may be a little more generous at the edges (1/4" more coverage).

What made you choose one over the other. The $110 is not the issue. They also offer a warranty, but only if you have a certified installer do it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Is there a web site with more information?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Anyone have any experiences with Cleartastic (sp?)??

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx2.net said:
I've already spoken to a shop here in San Diego.. it's one of the 1st things I'm going to do. They quoted me $200 installation and I can buy the product from anyone. They don't have a preference and guarantee their work. They are a body shop for high end cars. They do a lot of body work for Porsche and Ferrari dealerships here in San Diego. They've been installing the 3M product for 11 months and do about 4 cars per week.

They said that the only diff. between stonegard and xpel is mainly the price, but stonegard is a 9mil product and xpel is 8mil. Stonegard is one piece front bumper for $350, Xpel is two pieces for $240. Both cover the same, but they suggested that Stonegard may be a little more generous at the edges (1/4" more coverage).

What made you choose one over the other. The $110 is not the issue. They also offer a warranty, but only if you have a certified installer do it.
Thx2net,
I chose Stongard because I had heard good things about them. I also went directly to the factory because the price was quite a bit cheaper than local install shops....I mean a lot cheaper
:eek:
Anyway, the thickness difference is also a factor, as well as the nose coverage (it is really good) :cool: Whatever you decide, or which product, you will be happy knowing that your Z is protected, at least somewhat, from the normal wear and tear of the road. :cheers:

BTW, their is 2 kits available. $329, and $569. Both are computer cut and made just for the car, for a truly custom fit. :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts