Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Zo6 I would like do do some road course time trials. Stop force rotors are turbo Porsche rotors adapted for the vette $650 just for the fronts. is any one useing them?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tony Fania said:
I have a 2002 Zo6 I would like do do some road course time trials. Stop force rotors are turbo Porsche rotors adapted for the vette $650 just for the fronts. is any one useing them?

no one road racing likes to spend that much on rotors that can be eaten up after a few track events

napa rotors for $26 a piece is the way to go!

:yeadog:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tony, I burned through a pair of StopForce rotors in just under 500 track miles.

They look great and are made well, but they'll crack just as fast as any other rotor will on a race track and there is no difference in performane. Today, they're just another hunk of iron in my used rotor stack.

If you're doing 1 or 2 events a year and want to have nice rotors on the street, don't want to change them out for the track, and don't mind $600 for a pair of rotors, these fit the bill perfectly.

However, if you're going to the track a lot, then I would suggest sticking with the NAPA rotors and save your money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tony Fania said:
Tony - I have used the StopForce front setup for 2 years on my 2002 Z06 which is now modified w/ an LPE TT 427. I use them on my instructor/demo car for HPDEs.

The Porsche rotors last longet than the stock units. If you cryo treat them, they'll last even longer. The stock units are cheap through GM PartsDirect, but they have a tendency to crack. I don't mean the little hairline cracks, I mean the big, ugly radial cracks which you can feel and which, if they come apart will take out all the components inside the wheel well.

When these cracks appear, you're done for the day.Or at least you should be.

The problem with the StopForce setup is that the Z06 calipers don't use the whole rotor face like the Porsche/Brembo calipers do. This decreases life and correspondingly lessens the swept area over what it could be.

Part of the initial expense is for the 'hats' which can be re-used. The rotor blanks can be had from any Porsche dealer for about $195 each.

Whether the added cost is worth it is up to you. For the street, probably not. For a road course, well, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
971 Posts
My Stopforce rotors work great, over and over again, but then I have everything else that T-1 car has in a breaking package.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
SweetSavannah said:
When these cracks appear, you're done for the day.Or at least you should be.
Not necessarily, many of us swap out rotors at the track when they get large cracks. I get 1 to 1.5 track days out of a set of NAPA fronts using Wilwood 6 piston fronts and Wilwood H pads. No biggie to bring spares and its a 10-minute job with the Wilwood caliper design.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't waste your money on high priced rotors unless you're going to do a full monty brake upgrade (6-pistons, etc). You can get a full set of rotors thru rockauto.com for under $100 shippped to your door or you can get them at NAPA. They are easy to change and you just run them till they crack thru.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts