Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I installed some new rotors for the front brakes. When I lowered the car I notice the steering wheel was not straight and the car is all over the road. Feels like something is loose because I can barely keep the car under control. Its really scary. Feels also like the front tires and moving freely without steering.

Any ideas on what has happened. I am taking the car to get realigned this week sometime.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hmmm... start w/ the simple stuff. Check the tie rod ends, the caliper bracket bolts, and the lug nut torque. Check your steering shaft nut for torque and the powersteering fluid too.

My car got squirly and "loose" and come to find out it was horribly out of allignment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cobra4B said:
...the lug nut torque.
This is my guess. Did you tighten/seat the lugs with the wheels off of the ground? If you didn't, the wheel may be not flush with the hub even though you torqued the lugs to their proper torque.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I torqued the lugs as I always do. I seat the wheel on the hub and tighten with the wheels off the ground, then I drop the car so that the wheel makes contact to the ground and then I fully tighten to 100ft lbs.

Is it possible the alignment got out of whack when I tightened down the caliper bolts.

the steering wheel is not straight anymore, its cocked to the right. I almost dont want to drive it anywhere cause the front of the car is pulling me all over the road and it seams the suspension isnt rebounding properly either. :-?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if this thread will shed on the problem
That just talks about the c-clamp. I read that article when I was doing a search. The steering has no play in it, the wheels just feel like they are moving in and out while driving causing the front of the car to dart around. I will check the lug bolts to make sure they are on right.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was going to post a similar question today.... I just noticed this weekend that the front end of the car is darting, I at first thought I had a flat, but the tires look fine, lugs are tight and I haven't done anything to the car except put gas in it and drive it.... it's not tracking because the road is crowned either, the front end feels very loose.

I guess I'll have to have it looked at... crap.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible I damaged the front shocks when applying downward torque to tighten the caliper bolts to 125ft lbs.

I still think the alignment is loose causing the toe to move in and out making the car veer left and right.

Anyone know if this is possible for this adjustment to come loose?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Did a tie rod get bent somehow? Sounds like your toe is way off.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just by chance, you didn't leave any tools on the a-arm that could be causing a bind in the movement?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a failure in the steering column about halfway up there is a big aluminium collar that contains the end of the lower steering shaft and between both parts there is a black plastic/rubber seal that went pop on mine giving 20 degrees of steering wheel movement before anything happens at the wheels.

I have Twin Turbos and the heat coming off the drivers side appears to have melted this plastic/rubber collar.

It's easy to check 'cos if you can see black stuff at the joint then you have problem. Otherwise look elsewhere.

My favourite would be you undid something then forgot to do it back up again i.e. a tie bar end!

Hey just noticed you have the T1 sway bars, is it possible one of your swaybar ends came undone?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It sounds like you have a severe case of toe out, inadvertently acquired during your brake work.

But whatever it is, a good alignment shop could fix it pretty readily. This is the simple thing to do, rather than guess at a long list of exotic problems that may or may not actually exist.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like you have a severe case of toe out, inadvertently acquired during your brake work
That is what I am guess. I do not know if the toe setting can get out of whack like that? It feels really bad. The car is boucing and darting and is all over the place. I am taking it to get looked at today.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved, toe was out bigtime in the rear. I am not quite sure what caused this but it may have to do with when I regreased the bushings in the rear swaybar. Somehow the alignment got knock off.

Back to cruise status.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
DavidGP said:
Problem solved, toe was out bigtime in the rear. I am not quite sure what caused this but it may have to do with when I regreased the bushings in the rear swaybar.
Just my opinion of course, but for what it's worth, none of the things you described here, either with the front or rear changes, would be sufficient to knock the alignment out of whack.

For the front end, the forces experienced by the suspension components while under actual road load are much greater than the forces you could apply with a torque wrench.

At the rear, removing the sway bar entirely wouldn't make a difference to alignment. Greasing the SB bushings can't possibly effect anything.

Something was loose. The suspension shifted. Possibly as a result of the jacking you may have done, but it would have moved eventually anyway. If you didn't already, you should go over the entire suspension and subframes to make sure everything else is tight.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something was loose. The suspension shifted. Possibly as a result of the jacking you may have done, but it would have moved eventually anyway. If you didn't already, you should go over the entire suspension and subframes to make sure everything else is tight.
I agree, something was loose. I dont know if it was from the previous alignment that they didnt tighten down enough or something else knocked it out. I have taken off the SB before and it did not affect the alignment. Only difference this time was that I did it with the car on the ground, no lift. This might have caused the problem.

Where do you suggest I start when looking over the entire suspension? I dont recall ever loosening any bolts from the rear suspension except for those associated with the SB.

Just to let everyone know,

The toe before was +1.48 / +0.50 it was scary, kinda felt like the Z had 4 wheel steering :eek:

·
Registered
299 Posts
When you found the toe adjustment out was the camber adjustment out? The cam bolts can move given enough bounce and are not just tight as the bok says.

Tony #54

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what the print out says, the camber was right on. Only the toe was out of whack.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just looking at everything you did it would appear that jacking up the front of your car to install new rotors may have somehow knocked the rear alignment out? It sounds crazy but that may have happened. Did you use a lift to jack up the car or a jack under the front? Glad you fixed it with just an alignment.

D.J.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts