Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now a proud owner of a Z06(02) :yeadog: and love my new toy, but I do have a question. After driving at normal operating temps.(the car is stock), when I park the car and turn the car off sometimes I get this strange rattle. I can't tell if it's comming from the the valvetrain or the trans. Before I bought this car I test drove a 2000 with mild heads/cam work and a few other mods, and I noticed the same sound. Is this normal for Corvettes/Z06's? I've owned Camaros before, but I've never had this sound in the ls1 or lt1.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Here are some of the common noises:

Exhaust jingle: When decelerating in gear or downshifting you hear a jingling or rattling sound coming from under/behind the car. This is actually a resonating whistling sound caused by air being sucked through the small hole in the factory H pipe (the link between the 2 exhausts) caused by increased backpressure when letting off the gas in gear. Replacing this with an X pipe or even an H pipe with full size hole should eliminate the sound. Or when coasting you can hold the clutch in, but that's no fun.

Brake squeak: High performance (soft) brake pads cause this as well as increased brake dust in the front. It is normal, and if its annoying, harder brake pads will solve both problems, but decrease brake performance somewhat.

Clunk from under car when shutting it off (often the car shakes too): Just the transmission coming to a stop. Happens when the car is shut off with the clutch not pushed in. Try shutting off the car with the clutch pushed in, the sound should not be present. This is normal. Usually also happens to a lesser extent if the car is idling and you let the clutch out in neutral. It just seems loud since you literally sit right next to the clutch and driveshaft.

Exhaust pops when shifting or decelerating: Usually happens after a cold/cool start in the first 5-10 mins of driving, but happens sometimes even after running for a while. Just extra fuel and carbon burning off, no worries. However, if it happens a lot when the car is warmed up and you've been driving for a while it can mean you are running rich or one cylinder isn't firing. A few times in the first few accelerations after startup or once or twice while driving is normal, but anything more consistent should be investigated.

Lifter noise (sewing machine sound under the hood, especially during warm up): Normal due to higher lift camshaft. Some also blame this on cold piston knock, there was a bulletin for this on LS1 but not sure about the LS6. The injectors on our cars are also somewhat noisy and will make a "tick" of their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, it puts my mind at ease. I'll try pushing the clutch in next time. Look forward to hanging out in the forums.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
First - welcome to the BEST Vette forum in the land, we look forward to getting to know you.

Second - as others have said the noise is normal, you will find that especially in the Z06 (with little or no sound deadening material used in production) you will hear "things" and get used to them. Or go with a louder exhaust :rofl:

Les

headhunter27 said:
I am now a proud owner of a Z06(02) :yeadog: and love my new toy, but I do have a question. After driving at normal operating temps.(the car is stock), when I park the car and turn the car off sometimes I get this strange rattle. I can't tell if it's comming from the the valvetrain or the trans. Before I bought this car I test drove a 2000 with mild heads/cam work and a few other mods, and I noticed the same sound. Is this normal for Corvettes/Z06's? I've owned Camaros before, but I've never had this sound in the ls1 or lt1.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Congrat's on the new Z, welcome to the forum :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Why do you put you car in neutral before you shut it off?
If you are relying on your emergency brake to hold you car instead of putting it in either 1st or reverse you are going to find your car in a different location someday than where you left it. :bang: EM's on C5's are a pos.

·
Registered
247 Posts
IT L GO said:
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Why do you put you car in neutral before you shut it off?
If you are relying on your emergency brake to hold you car instead of putting it in either 1st or reverse you are going to find your car in a different location someday than where you left it. :bang: EM's on C5's are a pos.
I guess I never noticed that, have heard it before, but never noticed it. Everywhere I park it is virtually flat. So, I guess should not rely on the e Brake to hold the car and I should kill it in first or reverse :D

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Hmmm, my E-brake is very good. I guess I'm the lucky one. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Speedratchet said:
Here are some of the common noises:

Clunk from under car when shutting it off (often the car shakes too): Just the transmission coming to a stop. Happens when the car is shut off with the clutch not pushed in. Try shutting off the car with the clutch pushed in, the sound should not be present. This is normal. Usually also happens to a lesser extent if the car is idling and you let the clutch out in neutral. It just seems loud since you literally sit right next to the clutch and driveshaft.

Are you sure. I just bought mine and it does this noisy you describe. As it is comming to a stop there is a clatter noise sounds like two gears colliding just a tiny bit. It is not present if the car is in gear and foot on the clutch. However, it is very noticable if the car is shut off in neutral without my foot on the clutch. I raised hell at the dealer adv them they needed to fix this. They agreed with me. I'm not accusing you of being wrong. I just want to know how many others you have heard do this? I had a Master Tech at my work looking at the car with me and he didn't feel it was a good thing.

Thanks, Oh BTW, my e-brake kicks ass. I think it could hold me to a wall if I had suction cup tires. :eek2:

·
21,386 Posts
ZO6/Les said:
First - welcome to the BEST Vette forum in the land, we look forward to getting to know you.

Second - as others have said the noise is normal, you will find that especially in the Z06 (with little or no sound deadening material used in production) you will hear "things" and get used to them. Or go with a louder exhaust :rofl:

Les
Les...glad to have you back in the fold! :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts