Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Do you hear any noises from the engine bay after turning off the car?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
low mileage 2016 z06 car runs great. Sometimes, not every time, and not even during extreme temps (think: December in Texas) the car makes various sizzling sounds (think: steamy hissing) from the engine bay RIGHT AFTER turning the car off. Is this some sort of a/c condensate hitting hot items? just curious if anyone else has experienced the hissing/steamy noises after turning the car off. I have no other "issues" and this hasn't affected the car's performance in any other way. Just curious what this might be. Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
I apologize if this seems obvious, if I heard such from my 2017 Z, I would immediately open the hood and look, smell for clues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, can't see anything to the non-mechanic / layman's eye. It feels like something is sizzling, like something wet dripping on something very hot; a sound similar to throwing a yolk on a very hot frying pan. Any starter ideas on what it might be..?

·
Registered
23 Posts
oil on the exhaust results in smoke...water on just about anything on the engine is steam...you will usually see the smoke/steam somewhere, if you can smell it you can usually see it especially if there is a sizzling sound, there is probably a leak somewhere...around the head gaskets, valve covers, cooling system hoses, etc...keep checking the oil and water levels because if there is a leak they will eventually go down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the helpful reply 👍I've been driving it a lot and driving it hard and i am unable to duplicate the issue.... when it happens it happens and I've yet to discern a pattern which would be necessary to show a service tech; in the absence of any residual symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah that sounds reasonable. It hasn’t recurred. I’ll post again if the problem recurs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also, when you say "driving it hard" if you mean holding the engine in gear until close to redline and you only did that once or twice that could look like something that causes a leak somewhere, higher revs cause increased crank case pressure that may result in some oil getting out to a nice hot spot and burning...but only when you rev the engine past some point that you normally would not do so it only happened once or twice...

·
Registered
1 Posts
"sizzling sounds (think: steamy hissing) from the engine bay RIGHT AFTER turning the car off. "

I have exactly the same thing happen. I hear it when I pull it into the garage where it is very quite.

"Is this some sort of a/c condensate hitting hot items?"

I think you have the right answer. Doesn't smell or seem like oil or antifreeze.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a drain hose for the condensate leading outside the car...I've seen small puddles on the garage floor/driveway, especially on very hot days...could be hitting the exhaust somewhere...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts